• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

for once I've got a question

69 Runner

ADMIN wif a corner office (Deceased - RIP)
Local time
5:22 AM
Reaction score
OK....I'm in the process of doing a lot to my Duster (yes, an A body) and while trying to remove the tail lights so I could replace the harness (practically every harness in the car has been cut and spliced a ridiculous amount) I found that BOTH tail lights had been glued in (sealed to) the car with clear silicone. This silicone is on the paint, so scraping it off with a blade is not an option.

So my question is, anyone have a good way to remove silicone from a painted surface without trashing that painted surface in the process???????????????

A lot of times the silicone will just peel right off, unless it's more of a glue type. You could try pulling as much off as possible, and then maybe a little gasoline on a rag to scrub the rest off? It works well for rubbing off paint scuffs, but don't rub too hard or else you will start rubbing off the paint.

wal-mart sells some stuff called goo-gone or goo-off I think it is goo-gone. Good stuff I have seen it clean up some nasty stuff. It is cheap and worth a shot.

It's stuck to well to just peel off. Tried that.

I don't know who "built" this car, but they really had their head where the sun does not shine. Gonna be damn nice when I'm done tho.

This goo-be-gone stuff in the automotive section or what?

Not sure runner. The wife had bought some one time to clean something. I used it in the shop some. sorry.

Hey Runner, you might want to try a heat gun. But be careful not to overheat the plastic. You could also try to cut the edge with an ex-acto knife, pop out the lights and try to clean the remaining material with acetone. dependent on your paint i belive you can find a solvent to help clean the surface up. Regards, DAn

The Goo B Gone should be in the cleaning or paint section at your friendly neighborhood Big Box store.

I have had success in the past using a wax and grease remover (designed for surface prep in the bodyshop, aids in removing silicones from the vehicle surface). They come in various strengths and are designed not to attack a thermoset paint. We have them in spray bomb form here. If you get ahold of some, soak a rag and hold it against the silicone, it should attack the edge of the silicone and start to loosen it up. Safety first eh...rubber gloves and good ventilation, Wax & grease remover is fairly volatile.
Btw, use a plastic scraper or a plastic razor blade and you shouldn't mark the surface.
Yes they make plastic razors...

Last edited:
Plastic razors?!?!?! Could you tell me where? That is a must have, I am always needing to scrape something off of paint.... That is a why didn't I think of that moment. I could be rich.. plastic razors, amazing.

Lol...bodyshop suppliers have a single edge replica of a razor blade. we use them for adhesive removal, putty application on minute chips etc.

also if you go to your auto body suplier and tell him you want the wheel that removes decals it will take it off and wont tuch the paint

There enough room to get that in to the holes where the tail lights go?

Nope, they start out around 3" in diameter and the smallest they wear down to is about 2" in dia. Back to the solvent & scraper idea!

Auto Transport Service
Back