• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of 'boom tubes'!

Sweet5ltr

Local time
7:47 PM
Reaction score

Purchased the 3.5" x-pipe and boom tube assembly directly from a used Nascar parts dealer on eBay for $340 shipped; it's not a reproduction.

Had some Dynomax race mini-bullets welded in on the x-pipe, they're normally used as resonators. Mounted directly to my sub-frame connectors, used valve springs as spacers to provide dampening and vertical movement, I heard this tip on a forum somewhere and it works great. Has absolutely no drone or excess heat, it's actually fairly quiet inside, who would have guessed?

Yes, it sounds exactly like you're at the Daytona 500 from 4,000 rpm up.

Last edited:
That is awesome!, so the minis are the only muffler on it?

Purchased the 3.5" x-pipe and boom tube assembly directly from a used Nascar parts dealer on eBay for $340 shipped; it's not a reproduction.

Had some Dynomax race mini-bullets welded in on the x-pipe, they're normally used as resonators. Mounted directly to my sub-frame connectors, used valve springs as spacers to provide dampening and vertical movement, I heard this tip on a forum somewhere and it works great. Has absolutely no drone or excess heat, it's actually fairly quiet inside, who would have guessed?

Yes, it sounds exactly like you're at the Daytona 500 from 4,000 rpm up.

Damn that sounds good :thumbsup: thats like music to my ears

Nice sound! I've used brake springs to hang exhaust systems before. One was on a 66 Mustang Fastback which was one of the very few cars I've had that didn't have straights on it :D

Thanks for this! I have been worried about putting regular mufflers side by side under the trunk floor on the Express. Those square Dr Gas mufflers will be perfect.

Need about 30 more seconds of idle then a couple of stabs on the throttle!! :D

I agree.. Cranky is right. Love the sound of this! What minis did you purchase for this?

At least you didn't install those dam whistle tips, sounds nice!

Hey fellas, had two helicoils stripped out from two different carburetors in the past week. Ordered a repair kit. My spare carbs 30cc accelerator pump diaphragm is leaking so I’m waiting on a replacement as well. Hopefully I can have another video posted in the near future once I get this sorted out, made a 250-mile round trip this past weekend with the car. This thing is very quiet on the inside, yet it’s open headers loud on the passenger side (outside of car). Believe it or not, the interior is quieter now than when the exhaust exited the rear. No drone, even cruising at 3,300-3,400 rpm running 75mph. It doesn’t make much sense to me, but I really enjoy it. Like I said, I’m only running the dynomax mini-race bullets for mufflers (really resonators). I’ll have my wife get a video once I get the carb situation sorted out.

I've run straights since the 70's and there's lots of things to do to make them 'not so loud' but it also depends on the build of the engine. Right side exits do seem to make things quieter on the inside though. So far, the nastiest sounding straight system has been my stock V6 95 Dakota using the stock size pipe and routing. It's not bad at all just running around normally but step on it and it gets nasty sounding and not in a good way. It does make the sub woofer guys turn their crap down after a couple of good stabs on the throttle whenever they pull up beside me at a light and my mirrors vibrate. If they don't turn it down, they get to hear much more of it. So far they are 0 for however many times it's happened :D

Working on these as we speak. Need to get the exhaust out from under the car and out the back is not an option. These are th Dr. Gas ones. Bigger than the muffled tips that they have on the website . I'll get some under car pics when I get off work. It is all fitted and tacked, now I have to get it out and weld it.

2 1/8 TTi's to 3.5" collectors, 3" X-pipe and straight out the sides.

20180514_121528.jpg

Working on these as we speak. Need to get the exhaust out from under the car and out the back is not an option. These are th Dr. Gas ones. Bigger than the muffled tips that they have on the website . I'll get some under car pics when I get off work. It is all fitted and tacked, now I have to get it out and weld it.

2 1/8 TTi's to 3.5" collectors, 3" X-pipe and straight out the sides.

View attachment 606002
Do I even need to say that it's going to be . . l-o-u-d! :steering: Definitely post up a sound clip once it's installed!

Do I even need to say that it's going to be . . l-o-u-d! :steering: Definitely post up a sound clip once it's installed!
Oh, I will. These ones do have the muffler built into them, they are just a bigger version of the muffler tip version.

Auto Transport Service
Back