• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For you for 66 Coronet fans

thebankerstoy

Local time
7:53 AM
Reaction score
Looks like a pretty clean car and it has some very nice options.

Richard

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodg...065QQitemZ110362913065QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

1966 Coronet 500 convertible.jpg

1966 Coronet 500 convertible #1.JPG

1966 Coronet 500 convertible #4.JPG

1966 Coronet 500 convertible #9.JPG

1966 Coronet 500 convertible #10.JPG

and you can count on one hand, minus a few fingers, the number of 66 Coronet convertibles powered by a Hemi and which also had power windows. That's one very cool Mopar. :yes:

Richard

Last edited:
looks like someone really loaded that one up in 66, very classy car. do you have any pics of it with the top down richard? ron

looks like someone really loaded that one up in 66, very classy car. do you have any pics of it with the top down richard? ron

Sorry Ron, it doesn't look like he has any "top down" pictures on his ebay auction. :no: Here's another similar 66 Coronet convertible that shows how cool these cars look with the top down. .

Richard

66 Coronet convertible green #8.jpg

66 Coronet convertible green #7.jpg

Well, There was 12 4 speed convert and 9 auto trans coronet 500 convert for 1966 model year. Pretty cool car if it is a real hemi car. It is cool either way.

Well, There was 12 4 speed convert and 9 auto trans coronet 500 convert for 1966 model year. Pretty cool car if it is a real hemi car. It is cool either way.

There is no "doubt" that it is a "real" Hemi. Just click on the link and read the Ebay auction description about all of the documentation, not to mention the engine is designated in the V.I.N.

Very nice color combo too.

There are VERY few cars out there that I look at and say to myself, that car is awesome and I wouldn't change a thing on it if it was mine. This Hemi convertible is one of those cars. The white and black interior is exactly what my Coronet's new interior will look like after it's redone. That convertible is just one beautiful car! :yes: What do you guy's think of the "spinners" on the wheels?

Richard

1966 Coronet 500 convertible #3.JPG

Well, this beauty is up to $100,100.00 with 24 bids and the
reserve has still not been met. So much for Hemi cars losing their value in today's economy!

Richard

Most amazing thing about it is this is (with the exception of it being a vert) probably the second least favorite body for a Hemi to be in. First being the 66-67 Charger

I suppose thats true, however, I love the crisp lines of the 66-67 B-Bodies, and they are a much bigger surprise to the competition at the stoplights! Just the look on buddy's face when he catches up to you as you let off...Priceless.

But then I am very biased!

Most amazing thing about it is this is (with the exception of it being a vert) probably the second least favorite body for a Hemi to be in. First being the 66-67 Charger

Which is strange, because the 66 model year cars were the first B-Body cars to have the 426 Hemi. The 66 Hemi Coronet convertibles are also very few in number, so finding one this nice and this unmolested is pretty hard to do these days.

Richard

Well, this auction closed today without meeting the reserve. The final bid was $172,600.00 and there were 32 bids. Even I would have to admit that was a BUNCH of money bid on that car. I wonder what his reserve was? :whew:

Richard

Hey now.... :rolling:

guy shoulda sold it for that money. That's REAL TALL money right now

I agree, that is tall money for the car in this market.

Many people don't believe that a desireable, rare, low numbers car like this will suffer in this type of market, because they seldom come up for sale simply because there are so few of them left. A true collector of really rare cars like this that may not be effected by this economy and will likely pay the required price when one of these cars comes up for sale, otherwise it may be several years before another one is offered up for sale. If the seller doesn't HAVE to sell it he will keep it rather than sell for a discounted price in a market like this.

With regards to the subject car when you look at it comparatively to other B body Hemi ragtops and other make cars that fall into a like territory such as a 1970 LS6 Chevelle ragtop or a 1971 GTO Judge Ram Air ragtop, this car would still be considered a bargain. These cars were close to $500K just a few years ago.

The 66-67 cars have always been under dogs compared to the 68-up B bodies and your correct the Chargers are even less desirable for those years, even though they built more Hemi B bodies in 1966 then any other year. You can argue that in 1969 the six pack cars robbed a lot of Hemi sales and in 1970 both the six packs and the E bodies robbed a lot of Hemi sales, but what about 1967 and 1968? So, we have to think that 1966 Hemi sales have a lot to say for the popularity of the Hemi equipped cars by comparison to all other Hemi B body production years. So, why are they under dogs in terms of current pricing compared to other year B bodies? Well, my personal feeling is that it is because they have no outward identifing equipment to give any kind of hint that they were performance cars. No stripes, no hood scoops, only the small 426 Hemi emblems. Even in 1967 on the R/T cars they only had the small back set louvered hood that were hard to see. At least the GTXs had a stripe option and the more visable hood scoops, and there sales show the difference it made between the two sister cars.

Something else that is worth noting, with the recent price hit the Hemi cars have taken, the 66-67 Hemi cars have taken far less of a hit than ANY other model and have actually held their prices much better than all of the others.

Yes, it was the first year for the street Hemi, but it was overshadowed by the 65 A990 race Hemi cars. they had PLANNED to build a 1966 SS package car but it never happened. Then with 67 the WO/RO cars the factory decided they needed to bring it back to something more identifiable with a street car and used a street Hemi in these cars and called it an SS package. Those cars were sinply street Hemis with a modified intake and larger carbs and actually should have run in a STOCK class as there was little difference from the street car unlike the seriously lightened 65 cars. Consequently, the 67 cars were not very competitive. Other than the factory hood scoop the 66 2 door sedan cars are a better car to race than the 67s.

Auto Transport Service
Back