• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

former member

Conspiracy theory…. Are you Alaskan_TA?
Nope, but I sell a lot of stuff online, and am always getting g people who want to change the parameters of my ads. Currently dealing with a guy who asked for parts that I didn’t have listed, but I dug up and sent him. Then he sends me a list of other stuff he needs, and wants me to box it all up and send it to him by next Wednesday. Of course I want to sell him stuff and help him get his car going, but I’m very very busy, I work every day, and it’s graduation season and my son is a graduate, so I told him that I will get to his stuff after tomorrow, when the grad party is over. Not good enough for him, HE needs his car done by next Saturday, never mind that I don’t have the parts listed, wasn’t going to list those particular parts, and he wants 4 different sized and shaped parts in one big box. All by Wednesday. That’s why I list one part at a time, with clear descriptions and transaction details, because that’s what I’m PREPARED to do. Changing that and demanding me to work on someone else’s timeline or details is not what I, or Alaskan T/A, was PREPARED to do.

Nope, but I sell a lot of stuff online, and am always getting g people who want to change the parameters of my ads. Currently dealing with a guy who asked for parts that I didn’t have listed, but I dug up and sent him. Then he sends me a list of other stuff he needs, and wants me to box it all up and send it to him by next Wednesday. Of course I want to sell him stuff and help him get his car going, but I’m very very busy, I work every day, and it’s graduation season and my son is a graduate, so I told him that I will get to his stuff after tomorrow, when the grad party is over. Not good enough for him, HE needs his car done by next Saturday, never mind that I don’t have the parts listed, wasn’t going to list those particular parts, and he wants 4 different sized and shaped parts in one big box. All by Wednesday. That’s why I list one part at a time, with clear descriptions and transaction details, because that’s what I’m PREPARED to do. Changing that and demanding me to work on someone else’s timeline or details is not what I, or Alaskan T/A, was PREPARED to do.

This is so easy for the 2 parties to straighten out. Mail the damn check back and be done with this. Just my 2 cents, Carry on.

Conspiracy theory…. Are you Alaskan_TA?
No he's not... Barry Washington is a 100% stand-up guy in spite of his quirks... He moved from Alaska to Pa about ten years ago, he's helped allot of people getting original documents & parts reconnected with cars... He helped me with fender tag info on a car, he helped a good friend get his original engine for his AAR.... He doesn't charge a dime for his assistance but appreciates donations to his website... People quote and link info from his site all the time... So yeah, he's a good guy... He's never been a big seller of stuff but thought the years he has sold stuff and I've never heard of him burning anyone....

He's strongly opposed to re-bodies and rebuilding cars that are so far gone that the only original parts on the "reconstructed" car are pretty much numbers... And while I and allot of others agree with him there are pretty who disagree & throw stones because of they can't bend him to their wanting documents that he may have to authenticate what they are working on.....

FWIW I agree Barry should mail the check back....

I'm not being that unreasonable. I am owning my mistake. I just don't think that returning the check is asking that much. I did just talk to my banker. If I wait 90 days and pay the fee, I can probably recover my money. That's what I will do. But, I won't hesitate to join other sites and share my experience. Perhaps that will stop someone from making the same mistake.

I'm not being that unreasonable. I am owning my mistake. I just don't think that returning the check is asking that much. I did just talk to my banker. If I wait 90 days and pay the fee, I can probably recover my money. That's what I will do. But, I won't hesitate to join other sites and share my experience. Perhaps that will stop someone from making the same mistake.
Just follow the sellers wishes for his sale.

No he's not... Barry Washington is a 100% stand-up guy in spite of his quirks... He moved from Alaska to Pa about ten years ago, he's helped allot of people getting original documents & parts reconnected with cars... He helped me with fender tag info on a car, he helped a good friend get his original engine for his AAR.... He doesn't charge a dime for his assistance but appreciates donations to his website... People quote and link info from his site all the time... So yeah, he's a good guy... He's never been a big seller of stuff but thought the years he has sold stuff and I've never heard of him burning anyone....

He's strongly opposed to re-bodies and rebuilding cars that are so far gone that the only original parts on the "reconstructed" car are pretty much numbers... And while I and allot of others agree with him there are pretty who disagree & throw stones because of they can't bend him to their wanting documents that he may have to authenticate what they are working on.....

FWIW I agree Barry should mail the check back....
then, you would think that he would say...hey, donate to my site and I will gladly return the check. Something, anything.....

he doesn't live in Alaska. He lives in PA. I admit to my mistake. If he tears up the check, I am out the money. He should do the right thing and send it back.
Send him a envelope with a stamp on it and your address and be done with this BS.

I wa trying to buy a 6 way from him. I sent a cashiers check. He said that won't do. Won't send it back. Says he will tear it up.
He doesn't have a phone. Seems pretty cranky.
I'm assuming I can take his word for it?
Did you post a want ad looking for a six way, and he contacted you?

Did he list a six way for sale?

Well, if you guys don’t know him by now, then I don’t know where you’ve been. He is a rock solid guy, he knows a boat load about Mopars, and is straight up. He’s not a nut job, he’s helped out 100’s of folks through his Historical site. So, if he told you to pay him a certain way and you didn’t, that’s on you. If he says he will rip up the cashiers check, he will. If he requested that you pick it up at Carlisle, that’s what he wants. If you want the parts, and you try to arrange alternate details, then you should follow through with those details, and not change the details unless you clear it with a seller first. If he says the bank is too far for him to go, that’s because it is. He lives in Alaska!
He lives in Pennsylvania.

Did you post a want ad looking for a six way, and he contacted you?

Did he list a six way for sale?
Not here anyway. He hasn't been here for 12 years.

1656176068707.png

He lives in Pennsylvania.
I see that, and I do remember him moving some time ago. My bad! And, for the record, I think he should send the check back too, but on his time. I think maybe the buyer may have been a little too pushy about the whole affair, and maybe it rubbed him the wrong way.

Seems like the OP made a small mistake and repeatedly apologized for it, yet Barry was being stubborn and refusing to help.
How is that being a "stand up" guy?
Returning the check is a minor inconvenience, Why be such a hard *** about it?

Seems like the OP made a small mistake and repeatedly apologized for it, yet Barry was being stubborn and refusing to help.
Well, here is the way I like things to go when I list a part. I take pics, I find a box and pack it up, weigh and measure a box so I have the dimensions, then I list it with an accurate description, accurate shipping info, and the way I want to get paid. You find the ad and want to buy it, I’m ready for you to send payment and mail it out as soon as I receive that. Boom, done.

Now take Barry’s situation. He wants 1/2 down, doesn’t want to ship it, he wants to deliver it to Carlisle because he is going there. Boom, done. Had the oP followed that, he would be getting his parts and would be happy with them. But no, he undoubtably asked if Barry would ship, which I’m sure he reluctantly said yes, but send a postal money order, I’m sure to use at the post office to pay for the shipping and receive his payment at the same time. But now, for the same money, he has to pack the parts and go to the post office to send them. But no, he doesnt get a postal money order, he gets a certified check which now makes him have to go to the bank and cash that, then go to the post office to mail the box, all for the same money. How much more off of his original offer do you expect him to go before he just gives up and starts over? Not a stand up guy because he has to run around town doing something he said he didn’t want to do in the first place? Then have a thread started about it where folks are now bashing him for being a scammer, or not a stand up guy because he doesnt, and didn’t want to, be jerked around on the deal from the get go? Any other questions?

Reminds me of my most recent transaction. Guy says he wants the entire front clip, both rear quarters, and a fender. Drives all the way from Indy to my house, I help him load it all, drive to pick up the other parts and get them loaded, then he writes me a check for $400 worth of parts. Oh, and can I wait a week to cash the check, after the parts are all loaded up in his van. Yea, I should’ve just told him to unload the stuff and come back when he has the money, but now I have to trust someone I don’t know and wait a week after he took the parts?

Last edited:
Well, here is the way I like things to go when I list a part. I take pics, I find a box and pack it up, weigh and measure a box so I have the dimensions, then I list it with an accurate description, accurate shipping info, and the way I want to get paid. You find the ad and want to buy it, I’m ready for you to send payment and mail it out as soon as I receive that. Boom, done.

Now take Barry’s situation. He wants 1/2 down, doesn’t want to ship it, he wants to deliver it to Carlisle because he is going there. Boom, done. Had the oP followed that, he would be getting his parts and would be happy with them. But no, he undoubtably asked if Barry would ship, which I’m sure he reluctantly said yes, but send a postal money order, I’m sure to use at the post office to pay for the shipping and receive his payment at the same time. But now, for the same money, he has to pack the parts and go to the post office to send them. But no, he doesnt get a postal money order, he gets a certified check which now makes him have to go to the bank and cash that, then go to the post office to mail the box, all for the same money. How much more off of his original offer do you expect him to go before he just gives up and starts over? Not a stand up guy because he has to run around town doing something he said he didn’t want to do in the first place? Then have a thread started about it where folks are now bashing him for being a scammer, or not a stand up guy because he doesnt, and didn’t want to, be jerked around on the deal from the get go? Any other questions?

Reminds me of my most recent transaction. Guy says he wants the entire front clip, both rear quarters, and a fender. Drives all the way from Indy to my house, I help him load it all, drive to pick up the other parts and get them loaded, then he writes me a check for $400 worth of parts. Oh, and can I wait a week to cash the check, after the parts are all loaded up in his van. Yea, I should’ve just told him to unload the stuff and come back when he has the money, but now I have to trust someone I don’t know and wait a week after he took the parts?
Except... My first email to him was... Can anybody buy this? Or does it have to be at Carlisle? His response was yes, anybody can buy it. Let me get a shipping quote for you.
He could have easily said that it's only available at Carlisle. He had to box it and get a quote, just like he would have had to from anyone else not going to Carlisle. His original claim about the cashiers check, was he's been scammed before (that was after I had mailed it). My response was... I'm so sorry. I promise you that's it a good check. Feel free to wait until your bank gives you the green light before you ship. Up until then, he was very nice
Then he started saying that he doesn't really care if I get the part, and that he won't return the check. I've wasted his time and he's done. So, to imply that he's completely a victim in this situation, is disingenuous.

beat me to it..... pretty much word for word.... is a 50 cent stamp, and trip to the mail box that much trouble?...I'm pretty sure no one in this thread would handle it like this, at least I hope not...... it has douchebag written all over it

Auto Transport Service
Back