• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

former member

But, you would still have the parts, and not be out any money if it was bogus. If that happens at the bank, they take the money right back out of your account, and if you’ve sent the parts already, thinking the check was good, you’re out both!
You made the point, Barry would still have the part, he wouldn’t ship until the cashiers check or money order cleared

I'll bet Barry tore up the check as soon as he opened the envelope. That's the only reason he could have for not sending it back. All he had to do is clip it to his own mailbox. Don't even have to go to the post office.

But, you would still have the parts, and not be out any money if it was bogus. If that happens at the bank, they take the money right back out of your account, and if you’ve sent the parts already, thinking the check was good, you’re out both!
If I sent you a bogus money order, you would ship the parts right away?

The post office held the money order, he wouldn’t cash it right away. He said he’ll have to wait 10 days or longer, took my name and number. Why have an a postal money order if you can’t even cash it at the post office?

If I sent you a bogus money order, you would ship the parts right away?
If you send a postal money order to me, I go to the post office. They check to see if the MO is legit before they even cash it. If it’s not, I keep the parts, walk away and deal with you about the bogus MO. I’m not out the parts. If they cash the MO, even if it is bogus, I get the money, and the parts are sent. There is no recourse for the post office to come back on me, it’s not tied to my bank, I have cash in hand and the parts are sent.

Now, if I go to the bank with a bogus cashiers check and they don’t catch it right away and either cash it to me, or I deposit it in my account, I may walk away thinking that it was legit. It could take the bank 2 weeks or more to find out that it was bogus, and they have recourse to take the money out of my account, whether or not I deposited it. Unless you go to a bank that the cashiers check was directly issued from and cash it, you are forced to run it through your own bank. Now, if you’ve waited 2 weeks for the check to clear, and you send the parts, and the next day they find it’s bogus, you’re out the money and the parts.

My personal preference is to receive postal money orders only. It’s like having a bank in every town, and it’s not tied to your bank, they can check it’s validity right there, and you either walk with the money and no ties to your bank, or you walk with the parts and don’t have to deal with the scammer at all if the MO turns out to be bogus. I don’t know a scammer in this world who would escalate the matter of a bogus postal money order. And, not to mention, that the post office is a federal institution, a bank is a private entity. Passing off a bogus postal money order is a federal offense, passing off a bogus cashiers check is a crime, but not a federal crime, and must be pursued by the cops, or the bank you transacted with, which will just withdraw the money they gave you and make you pursue it yourself. Got it?

If I was sent a cashiers check, I will go to the issuing bank to cash it. Why would I cash it at my bank, especially using my account?

If I was sent a cashiers check, I will go to the issuing bank to cash it. Why would I cash it at my bank, especially using my account?
Well, say I went to my bank, which is Citizens Bank, an age old bank from Michigan. Is there one in your town? Or even in your state?

Lots of banks now have a policy NOT to cash their own checks unless you have an account with them.

Is that crazy, or what?

My business bank has that right at the teller.

That's right, they won't cash their own check, if you don't have an account.

If you send a postal money order to me, I go to the post office. They check to see if the MO is legit before they even cash it. If it’s not, I keep the parts, walk away and deal with you about the bogus MO. I’m not out the parts. If they cash the MO, even if it is bogus, I get the money, and the parts are sent. There is no recourse for the post office to come back on me, it’s not tied to my bank, I have cash in hand and the parts are sent.

Now, if I go to the bank with a bogus cashiers check and they don’t catch it right away and either cash it to me, or I deposit it in my account, I may walk away thinking that it was legit. It could take the bank 2 weeks or more to find out that it was bogus, and they have recourse to take the money out of my account, whether or not I deposited it. Unless you go to a bank that the cashiers check was directly issued from and cash it, you are forced to run it through your own bank. Now, if you’ve waited 2 weeks for the check to clear, and you send the parts, and the next day they find it’s bogus, you’re out the money and the parts.

My personal preference is to receive postal money orders only. It’s like having a bank in every town, and it’s not tied to your bank, they can check it’s validity right there, and you either walk with the money and no ties to your bank, or you walk with the parts and don’t have to deal with the scammer at all if the MO turns out to be bogus. I don’t know a scammer in this world who would escalate the matter of a bogus postal money order. And, not to mention, that the post office is a federal institution, a bank is a private entity. Passing off a bogus postal money order is a federal offense, passing off a bogus cashiers check is a crime, but not a federal crime, and must be pursued by the cops, or the bank you transacted with, which will just withdraw the money they gave you and make you pursue it yourself. Got it?
I agree with what you are saying about the postal money order being the most secure. Worse thing I had was that once I had to go to 3 different Post Offices before finding one that had enough cash in their drawers to pay me for a $2200 money order. That was a pain, but I got the cash after some driving around. What gets me about this Alaskan guy though, is that all he had to do is cash the check at his bank and then wait till sending out the part until it cleared. Yeah, kind of a pain and another 1 or 2 trips to town. But the buyer admitted to making a mistake, and there are way worse things in this world to get your undies bundled up about. We are all car guys here just trying to keep our old junk on the road....

Lots of banks now have a policy NOT to cash their own checks unless you have an account with them.

Is that crazy, or what?

My business bank has that right at the teller.

That's right, they won't cash their own check, if you don't have an account.
Not really crazy. When you cash a check at the bank it was written on, there is no way for the government to track who is getting paid what. I find it to my benefit to pay the transaction fee when doing so, although some banks charge $10 or more, and one bank in my area charges a percentage of the check amount, which could be much more than that!

So, in the instance of the OP’s problem, that makes Barry have to cash it at his own bank, or drive to the bank it was issued from, if there’s even one in his state?

just use paypal like 99% of everyone else....... if buyers are willing to pay the shipping when they need a part, they will also be willing to pay a little more for the paypal fee.......it's the world we live in

not willing to use paypal? then be a little more flexible, and realize mistakes and miscommunications happen and will sometimes be part of the process

Well, say I went to my bank, which is Citizens Bank, an age old bank from Michigan. Is there one in your town? Or even in your state?
To answer your question, there are 317 Citizen Banks in Pa. What's the big deal with just mailing the guy his check back?. You have posted on this thread many times defending this guy for not doing this one small thing that would have easly made this whole deal go away. You say that you are also a seller, thanks for the red flag. I considerate it a public service announcment on how it would be to deal with you.

Last edited:
He said he wanted a postal money order, undoubtably to go to the post office, which is undoubtably near his house. Instead you send a cashiers check, which makes him have to go to the bank. And yes, you’re wasting his time by not just following the details of the transaction. Why didn’t you just send him 1/2, and pick it up at Carlisle like his ad said? Changing the details of the ad, then changing the payment method without telling him, after he clearly asked for a postal money order, then starting a thread about it when things didn’t go exactly your way, and you’re defending all of that? Yes, I would send the check back, but after your direction as to the way this is going, I wouldn’t blame him to just tear it up and move on. It’s no good to him, not what he asked for, and nothing he should have to deal with. Sorry, it’s all on you, bud, like it or not.

Of course, I don’t want to see you out the money, but maybe you should go to the bank where you got the check and explain the details and ask for your money back and the check cancelled. Why does he have to do the legwork for your mistake?

Sorry pal - But personal opinion from my end - You’re buddy is being a total prick. Because he’s your buddy you’re defending his prickish attitude, response and altogether none of your business. Maybe you should stay in your lane. Yeah i know you’ll say OP made it your business by posting. I suggest not. To me the OP is trying to be a decent guy and figure out how to resolve and get either his money or the item. You know how they say - You know about ******** - everybody's got one. Well you have two - yours and the prick buddy you’re endlessly sticking up for. Give it a rest and go take a nap.

on another forum, he threatened to turn a guy in that bought a car and had the wrong vin tag. look on fabo ,if you think i am fibbing. he got turned up to the max rpm, when the guy asked for simple help.

on another forum, he threatened to turn a guy in that bought a car and had the wrong vin tag. look on fabo ,if you think i am fibbing. he got turned up to the max rpm, when the guy asked for simple help.

Incorrect dash vin tag

threatened to call state police and complicate the poor guy's life over a 318 A body.........he has time for that, but no time to return or cash a check.....he's obviously "that guy"

seems like Mr. VIN police goes to great lengths to hide online sales from the tax man

Incorrect dash vin tag

threatened to call state police and complicate the poor guy's life over a 318 A body.........he has time for that, but no time to return or cash a check.....he's obviously "that guy"

seems like Mr. VIN police goes to great lengths to hide online sales from the tax man
Wow, he should made the OP sound like a crook. What a piece.

Thanks for posting this.

To answer your question, there are 317 Citizen Banks in Pa. What's the big deal with just mailing the guy his check back?. You have posted on this thread many times defending this guy for not doing this one small thing that would have easly made this whole deal go away. You say that you are also a seller, thanks for the red flag. I considerate it a public service announcment on how it would be to deal with you.
Well, if you read through all of the posts, especially the one where the OP asked me what I would do, I clearly stated numerous times that I would send the check back. So, there’s that!

Sorry pal - But personal opinion from my end - You’re buddy is being a total prick. Because he’s your buddy you’re defending his prickish attitude, response and altogether none of your business. Maybe you should stay in your lane. Yeah i know you’ll say OP made it your business by posting. I suggest not. To me the OP is trying to be a decent guy and figure out how to resolve and get either his money or the item. You know how they say - You know about ******** - everybody's got one. Well you have two - yours and the prick buddy you’re endlessly sticking up for. Give it a rest and go take a nap.
Ok, nap time is over. As stated in an above post, I don’t know Barry, never met him, never interacted with him except through posting in the same threads on FABO, so I’m not defending him. I’m defending the fact that is wasn’t just a simple mistake, look what it has caused? I also clearly stated when the OP asked me, that if it was me I would send the check back. It’s obviously a clear lack of communication on the OP’s part that led to this, and yes, Barry should just send the check back. Here’s how communication should work…

Barry….”send me a postal money order”

OP….”is a cashiers check ok?”

Barry….”no, I’ve been burned on cashiers checks before”

OP….”ok, postal money order it is”

So, what didn’t happen that caused this? The OP has stated it was his mistake, and it was. Yes, it could, and should be resolved by sending the check back. But, to drag him through the mud on a forum that he’s not even on? Who escalated this? And calling me an asshole? Nice play, I can handle that. On to bigger and better things!

update
On the original site and post, Barry responded.

He listed articles that support his not wanting a cashiers check.

He then said that he will contact my bank and confirm that it's a valid check. If it is, he will send the check to the bank.
If it's not, he will "let" the bank deal with me.
I posted a thank you and another apology for the trouble.

I'm satisfied with that response.

So, once all of that takes place, I will most likely request that this thread be removed

Auto Transport Service
Back