• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Forward framerail braces.

tvtn

Local time
5:31 PM
Reaction score
I've got a Gerst tube front end ready to go into my 69RR. What I'd like to do is brace the front frame rails in a "triangle" from the firewall to the shock tower and weld to the forward end of the frame rails. I know Magnum Force makes a "kit" to do this but I'd like to know if anyone on the forum has used another kit, or made your own. A roll cage would do the trick but I don't think the car will be quick enough to require that as well as me not wanting one. The car will see some bracket racing and perhaps some autocross, but be mostly a cruse mobile. Is this overkill? Would like you thoughts. Thanks.
Tom

Btw it's not overkill especially when moving to a coilover front end. I don't recall does the Gerst use the factory shock towers? Is it a weld in?

I have the Magnum Force Transformer but if you look at the last page of my build thread we ended up doing an entire custom front clip and in the process of installing now

I used an XV frame stiffening system. Braces from the shock tower to the firewall and a mandrel bent square tube piece that connected the front ends of the frame rails just under the radiator. I wanted to install the piece that goes over the top of the engine and connects to the inner fender top edges and the center of the top edge of the firewall but the 5.7 did not allow for it...not enough clearance. This set up has been awesome. I have had this car on a road course and it handled great. I drive the snot out of it on winding country, hilly roads and it is awesome. Fantastic ride on the hi way at cruise as well.
Just my experience. Search my "b body stiffening" thread in the member projects section for pics of the build.

You can see what I did but we also had frame rails made and doing our own inner fenders

20180405_135517.jpg 20180405_135506.jpg 20180405_140710.jpg

I like that!! Outstanding job!

I used the us car tool kit along with the magnum force forward strut brace kit. Either was you look at it, the bars should be installed when running an aftermarket coil over k frame.

Auto Transport Service
Back