• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found My 1962 a New Playmate

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:13 AM
Reaction score
20191026_142200.jpg

20191026_142112.jpg

20191026_123937.jpg

20191026_104013.jpg

Found this 1969 MGB this week. It's been sitting for 30 years. The owner just stopped driving it. Small rust spot on the driver's side floor pan. The rest looks pretty solid. The engine turns free but I haven't tried to fire it up yet. Have to go through the proper procedures to do that. The price was right so I couldn't resist. :)

Here's where it sat when I first saw it. Getting it loaded up.
20191022_155656.jpg

20191026_202058.jpg

Then getting it home, scrubbing and pressure washing 30 years of crud off of it. It didn't clean up too bad.
20191026_082241.jpg

20191026_090624.jpg

20191026_114847.jpg

20191026_135207.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet! Big block swap?

Did you find it local?

A old friend of mine had a B with a small block stuffed in the front.. and tastefully done as well.. those old British cars are Pretty Nice.. congrats on your aquisition.
http://www.britishv8.org/MG/RogerHaber.htm

a good friend of his (Max) as well had a Morris Minor done the same way..

A old friend of mine had a B with a small block stuffed in the front.. and tastefully done as well.. those old British cars are Pretty Nice.. congrats on your aquisition.
http://www.britishv8.org/MG/RogerHaber.htm

a good friend of his (Max) as well had a Morris Minor done the same way..

I bet that's a handful
drive.gif
Thanks for sharing!

Congrats!
Ye shall meet the Prince of Darkness soon methinks. :)

Maybe small block! They do use the Land Rover V8s in them.

Found it five minutes from my house.
Wow, thats great!!!! I had one, sold it for the Plymouth.... The GM V6 is a very popular swap... I still like the 4 banger and once you get them running right, they move along.... The parts for the most part are available and reasonable... Does it have OD?

Wow, thats great!!!! I had one, sold it for the Plymouth.... The GM V6 is a very popular swap... I still like the 4 banger and once you get them running right, they move along.... The parts for the most part are available and reasonable... Does it have OD?

I don't think it has OD. It's hard to tell what I'm looking at but it doesn't look like it has the unit on the tail shaft. I need to look at the engine number also. That will tell if it was an OD setup.

I don't think it has OD. It's hard to tell what I'm looking at but it doesn't look like it has the unit on the tail shaft. I need to look at the engine number also. That will tell if it was an OD setup.
It will have a od pull i think on the dash

Actually the OD can be finicky. There are two types, a earlier version and a later unit. The five speed swap is another popular one.....If you don’t plan on a lot of highway use the OD isn’t all that important... Read up on those SU carbs...
The biggest issue on these cars is rust in rocker panels...Under the outer rocker is the piece that supports the front and rear of car...If doors close ok and no rust is evendent you should be ok....

Actually the OD can be finicky. There are two types, a earlier version and a later unit. The five speed swap is another popular one.....If you don’t plan on a lot of highway use the OD isn’t all that important... Read up on those SU carbs...
The biggest issue on these cars is rust in rocker panels...Under the outer rocker is the piece that supports the front and rear of car...If doors close ok and no rust is evendent you should be ok....

Below the rocker is the castle rail That goes from the roll of the firewall to up over the rear axle. One on both sides.

This guy started out by selling aluminum Buick and Olds conversion kits for Vegas and Chevy LUVs. http://aluminumv8.com/Conversions/Conversions
In the 70's, the Factory built MGBGT-V8's after finding out about a guy in NY who was buying new Rover V-8's and installing them in new MGB's. It was a fast, fun car and he was selling all he could build. British Leyland stopped the sales of motors and transmissions to him.

Rover V8's before '96 have stand alone fuel injection and Distributors, making them likely donors. Kits are available to put T-5's behind them. The LT77 5 speeds that came behind the V-8's in the Rover SD1 and Triumph TR-8's are cheap now because one can use better transmissions T-5's or even Miata 6 speed conversions. The LT77 is strong enough in a 2400 pound car.
Get a Rover rather than Buick as metallurgy had progressed far by the 80's and 90's. The Buick 215 blocks broke. The Rovers have a usable 6,000 rpm and weigh about 300 pounds ready to run. They can be taken to 5 litres and have tons of aftermarket stuff available. Things like IDF Webers and superchargers.
The injected versions lend themselves well to blow through turbocharging.

It will have a od pull i think on the dash

Funny thing is most will have the OD switch even if they didn't come with OD. Some had the switch in the center of the wiper switch.

The engine number on this year (and others) have an "R" that states it was a OD. Mine doesn't have an "R". It does have an "H" for high compression though.

Rockers are good. There's a small hole right below the clutch pedal in the floor pan and the frame rail is soft right below that. The rest of the pan and rails look good. Trunk looks real good too.

I've rebuilt the SU carbs before. I probably need to get the kits before I even try to start it. I'm going to use a "nurse" tank first start up. Also you need to remember to disconnect the wire on the fuel pump before trying to do this.

All great post on this thread guys:thumbsup:

Hell I thought I was going to hear a bunch of Negative Nancy comments.

They are a different animal to work on even though they aren't too hard to work on. Finding the right wrench on some fasteners can be a pita. And the Lucas electrical has a lot to be desired too. But when up and running you can have fun driving them.

Thanks again!

Funny thing is most will have the OD switch even if they didn't come with OD. Some had the switch in the center of the wiper switch.

The engine number on this year (and others) have an "R" that states it was a OD. Mine doesn't have an "R". It does have an "H" for high compression though.

Rockers are good. There's a small hole right below the clutch pedal in the floor pan and the frame rail is soft right below that. The rest of the pan and rails look good. Trunk looks real good too.

I've rebuilt the SU carbs before. I probably need to get the kits before I even try to start it. I'm going to use a "nurse" tank first start up. Also you need to remember to disconnect the wire on the fuel pump before trying to do this.
All great post on this thread guys:thumbsup:

Hell I thought I was going to hear a bunch of Negative Nancy comments.

They are a different animal to work on even though they aren't too hard to work on. Finding the right wrench on some fasteners can be a pita. And the Lucas electrical has a lot to be desired too. But when up and running you can have fun driving them.

Thanks again!

Every thing on these is standard not metric There pretty simple cars to work on. You will have fun with it.

Every thing on these is standard not metric There pretty simple cars to work on. You will have fun with it.

I know they were supposed to have phased out the British Standard in the 60's but I still remember finding a fastener now and then that you couldn't find something to fit it. I remember the differences in thread sizes too.

I think I should invest in one of those portable lifts that you slide under your car. My back and legs are sore from bending over today just cleaning it up!

Auto Transport Service
Back