• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found my running a fuz hot problem

pearljam724

Local time
7:29 PM
Reaction score
All summer long, according to my gauge. My engine always ran a tad warm at about 200 degrees. I initially thought my cheap gauge could have been off. But, I also felt it could have been accurate being my car took an extremely long time to cool off, but never over heated.
I changed a month old 180 thermostat to a 160 in combination to adding water. Previously, I had 100% pure antifreeze. Running a lot cooler now and hovering around 185.
I’m sharing this story for anyone that may make the same mistake. Don’t ever use 100 % antifreeze. Lol ! The change should help a ton with my previous vapor lock issue too. Along with a wooden spacer I added.

100% antifreeze does protect engine from freezing in below zero conditions. Think freezes at 8*F but not positive.

Edit: Antifreeze freezes at 0* to +5 F.

100% antifreeze does protect engine from freezing in below zero conditions. Think freezes at 8*F but not positive.
Yeah, for sure Fran. I’m aware that it’s a better coolant to pretect against freezing. I have a detached garage. That’s why I bought it. Never realized though, it would make an engine run 15 degrees too hot. Huge difference. I feel like an idiot. But, I fixed it.

Last edited:
Engine should run consistently better too, due to the fuel should be considerably cooler now. Just helping anyone by stating it. Should they ever experience vapor lock problems. Something to look at, especially on cars that only have an original temp gauge. Otherwise, I would have never known to figure it out. I got a lot of help on here too, as always.

How does the 160 play in?

All summer long, according to my gauge. My engine always ran a tad warm at about 200 degrees. I initially thought my cheap gauge could have been off. But, I also felt it could have been accurate being my car took an extremely long time to cool off, but never over heated.
I changed a month old 180 thermostat to a 160 in combination to adding water. Previously, I had 100% pure antifreeze. Running a lot cooler now and hovering around 185.
I’m sharing this story for anyone that may make the same mistake. Don’t ever use 100 % antifreeze. Lol ! The change should help a ton with my previous vapor lock issue too. Along with a wooden spacer I added.
100% antifreeze is not a coolant nor does it provide protection into the - below zero. Water boils at 220°. 50/50 antifreeze boils even higher. For every pound of cooling system pressure you run it adds 3° to the boiling point. 15#x3= +45° to the 212+ you already have. Unless I have coolant gushing out, there is no overheating issues.

How does the 160 play in?
It doesn’t do anything and I knew that when I installed it. But, just wanted to try it just Incase 180 was sticking. It just opens at 160, that’s all. It will take a tad longer to warm up upon starting.

Last edited:
Water Wetter (Redline) , Royal Purple Ice,
and similar products along with STRAIGHT WATER actually is the coolest running solution to put in a radiator BUT
WARNING
Antifreeze MUST be used or corrosion will result.

I'm only mentioning the water+water wetter combo because the topic lends itself to the comment.
The other alternative is a water free solution that runs a little hotter than water+antifreeze, but because it's waterless, also eliminates corrosion altogether in the cooling system.
All water and antifreeze must be flushed completely from the system for the best results when using the waterless solution.
I use 50/50 water and antifreeze premixed, and one bottle of Redline Water Wetter in my Roadrunner and in my wife's GTO.
20190822_211921.jpg

Screenshot_20190822-212011_Chrome.jpg

Here's the waterless coolant: (I may use when I rebuild an engine)
https://www.evanscoolant.com/

Should use distilled water, no big deal but from now on it's better.

My 318 was always running hot, especially when checking the exhaust manifolds with a laser pistol thermometer. Eventually found out the cooling system was running almost 100% anti-freeze when I used one of those little mini-hydrometers to check the freeze protection. Going 50/50 cooled things down.

I’ve used WaterWetter in motorcycles. It works, brings temperatures down roughly 5 degrees in comparison. I quit using it to avoid the risk of forgetting to drain the system before winter. I decided the risk and reward wasn’t worth continuing to use it. A 50/50 coolant/water mix is probably the best choice to cover all the bases.

A lot of guys here suffer from vapor locks, thanks for the advice.:thumbsup:
Most certainly welcome. Just trying to pass the help back around. Everyone on here that I’ve experienced during my time on here. Are great guys and enjoy helping one another through suggestions, advice, knowledge, etc.

Yeah, running 100% antifreeze isn't recommended. And what the hell does 'a fuz' mean‍‍?

Yeah, running 100% antifreeze isn't recommended. And what the hell does 'a fuz' mean‍‍?
Lol ! A SW Pa. slang I suppose. You know ? A tad, a fuz, a smigon. A fuz, as in small as a piece of fuzz. A tiny or very small amount. Ha ha !

Aha ok! Learnded me somethin' new..

Auto Transport Service
Back