• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Four seconds flat distributor issue.

greenmachine

Local time
12:48 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys.
So I bought a pertronix 3 custom curved distributor for a my first 440. It had 906 iron heads. With my new motor it does not clear the aluminum heads. I’ve clearenced both the heads and distributor and it’s still to tight. His replacement distributor and box is about 800.00 all in. Or just go MSD RTR for 329.00. Just a 10-1 street motor.

I would go with either a mopar electronic distributor or the msd Distributor. I wouldn't consider the fbo unit.

The guy that is building my 440 says that MSD pro billet is taller for the aluminum heads.

Just my opinion, but I will never buy another distributor from Don at FBO. I jacked around for months several years ago with him and one of his junk distributors.
MSD units are slightly wider than a stock unit and need the head clearanced to fit, but maybe you have that done already?
I have had good luck with standard Firecore distributors.

I use the 'plug-n-play' Firecore distributor as well and it fits my RB with Edelbrock heads just fine...but I have a more factory setup as far as the wiring and other components so you'd have to have all that if you go away from the 'ready-to-run' distributors. Firecore also has a ready-to-run unit that ''may'' fit better than your Pertronix. Call them and ask, they're good dudes.
Or, keep grinding:D

Don is a idiot. I had called him one time to inquire about a Msd Distributor. I told him of my current mopar Distributor. He asked what I run for timing, I told him 18° initial and 38° total. He said that was too much and thats what chevies run with alcohol. Well needless to say I've been running that setup for 30 years with no problems.

Auto Transport Service
Back