• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Four speed shifter hump advice, please

Sahara

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:23 AM
Reaction score
Way North Canada. Polar Bear shaped license plates
1970 Coronet two door hard top.
Originally a column shift automatic. I’m converting to pistol grip four speed.
I have the AMD shifter hump piece for the floor. The instructions say that I can place the piece on the floor, scribe around it and cut the floor, leaving enough of a lip to weld to. To install the hump they say that I can then place the piece in place, it should line itself up, and weld it in place. But they recommend that I may want to have the transmission in place to be sure that the linkage correctly lines up.
I’m not able to place the transmission yet.
What’s your thoughts? I want to proceed with installing the hump piece so that I can continue working on the rest of the floor and interior. I’m probably a year away from being ready to install the transmission.

I would definately want the trans and cross member in place and icluding the bell housing with a few bolts in the block.

There's no reason to need any of the drivetrain in place unless you're dropping in some oddball engine/trans combo.

Set the hump in place - its pretty much self aligning. Hold it while you mark around the inside with a sharpie. Don't get fancy - anything within an inch of the hump will give you more than enough clearance.

The factory cut the hole before installing the floor - this is obvious as the factory cut overlaps the cross member. You do not have to cut into the crossmember at all.

The fact you're using a pistol grip is moot - all the shift mechanisms are generally the same and mount to the trans the same - regardless of which shifter. Just be sure you're using the correct year/model trans for your car as shifter mounts varied by body style.

Auto Transport Service
Back