• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frame Connectors, Freaking windshield!

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:37 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know how good the bolt on frame connectors are? I know the weld in ones are better but I don't want to take the chance of having my brand new paint job ruined because of the close welding. I am looking at frame connectors because I just had a new windshield put in, it was difficult for the guy but he did a good job. Well, an hour later I needed to do work underneath and jacked up the car on the left side. All of a sudden CRACK! There goes my windshield! F@#k!! This is the second windshield! The first one the sandblaster cracked. Would getting these subframes stop cracking my windshields because of the flex of the body?

Thanks Guys!

Something is not right, these cars lived for decades during which they were jacked up many times without breaking the windshield. That said, bolt in SFCs might help, then again they might not but they are not going to hurt anything so you might as well give it a try.

Something is not right, these cars lived for decades during which they were jacked up many times without breaking the windshield. That said, bolt in SFCs might help, then again they might not but they are not going to hurt anything so you might as well give it a try.

Hmm, I did jack it up right in front of the windshield which I would imagine would make it flex. If you have the door open while jacking on the side you won't be able to close the door because of the uni body flexes.

I had issues with the inner tubs separating from the trunk floor on my old BB 68 Camaro. It required those.

But never had issues with my B body cars. Seems weird yours is cracking glass.

If you jack just one corner of these cars without welded in connectors, they really flex. Still will some even with connectors, but not nearly as bad.

I agree that there is something wrong with the car. I have jacked numerous cars up in my 38 years of messin with cars and have never cracked a windshield in any vehicle. Mopars, Chevys, Imports, a few Fords...no problems with any of them.

I agree that there is something wrong with the car. I have jacked numerous cars up in my 38 years of messin with cars and have never cracked a windshield in any vehicle. Mopars, Chevys, Imports, a few Fords...no problems with any of them.

But what could be wrong? The frame is solid. The installer did have a hard time installing because the fit was real tight. Do you think because the windshield was so tight that caused it?

New glass is thinner than stock. Couple that with tighter fitment and you may have your answer.
I've never broken a windshield during installation but I've broken a few trying to take them out. Maybe it IS the glass. That would be more comforting than thinking that the car is rusting from the inside out!

My guess would be the windshield was either too big or installed improperly. I jack mine up in weird spots all of the time and haven’t had anything break. If he had issues installing it I’m fairly certain that’s the problem. Good luck! Mike.

But what could be wrong? The frame is solid. The installer did have a hard time installing because the fit was real tight. Do you think because the windshield was so tight that caused it?
Could be. I’ve heard stories about incorrect sizes but never had one myself. 50+ years is a long time though, something odd could have happened and you don’t know. I’d pick over everything really carefully and look for some previous collision damage. That can bend things or break welds that leaves a bad shape or allows flex.

New glass is thinner than stock. Couple that with tighter fitment and you may have your answer.
I've never broken a windshield during installation but I've broken a few trying to take them out. Maybe it IS the glass. That would be more comforting than thinking that the car is rusting from the inside out!

I'm hoping the frame connectors will help, but will the bolt on ones be good enough?

You do any welding around the window frame before paint that would have warped something? I agree, either your frame is messed up or the glass was to big. It's even got that big rubber seal around it for a little give.

How did he install the glass? Did he glue it in or did he use butyl? If the glass was too tight and glue in rigidly I could see it cracking.

Back in the day the windshield were put in using butyl which doesn't really harden so there is some give there and I suspect the glass was thicker (read stronger) and probably smaller to a slight degree. All this would allow for movement and no cracking.

To your question, after some thought I do not think SFCs are going to help significantly (but they can't hurt) especially when you are jacking the front of the car. I would used a floor jack under the cowl (behind the tire) on the frame to lift the front end which should minimize movement.

You do any welding around the window frame before paint that would have warped something? I agree, either your frame is messed up or the glass was to big. It's even got that big rubber seal around it for a little give.

No the window frame is solid, no rust at all, above, below or on the sides. I looked at all that when it was sand blasted. I don't think there was no give in the rubber because it was so tight I wonder if I should order the windshield from Classic Industries?

How did he install the glass? Did he glue it in or did he use butyl? If the glass was too tight and glue in rigidly I could see it cracking.

Back in the day the windshield were put in using butyl which doesn't really harden so there is some give there and I suspect the glass was thicker (read stronger) and probably smaller to a slight degree. All this would allow for movement and no cracking.

To your question, after some thought I do not think SFCs are going to help significantly (but they can't hurt) especially when you are jacking the front of the car. I would used a floor jack under the cowl (behind the tire) on the frame to lift the front end which should minimize movement.

I ordered 3M bedding glazing compound.

No the window frame is solid, no rust at all, above, below or on the sides. I looked at all that when it was sand blasted. I don't think there was no give in the rubber because it was so tight I wonder if I should order the windshield from Classic Industries?
Regardless of where you get the winshield from it probably comes from the same place unless it’s an original. Demand for these can’t be astronomical.

I recently read something in a thread about a member " cutting down" his windshield to fit. Said there was excess, where the 2 halves met, that stuck out, iirc. Seemed odd to me. I assumed sloppy manufacturing. Does your windshield use a rubber gasket ? If so, the flexing must be major, for it to crack. Maybe check the welds on the sub frame. How do the doors shut, and windows fit/ work ? How's the roof look ? Before it was painted, did you notice any cracks on the door jam, by the top of the quarter, or at the bottom of the a pillars ?Maybe a previous owner had a torque monster that tweaked the car.

Auto Transport Service
Back