• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frankenvan - the 10 second Van taking New Zealand dragstrips by storm

kiwigtx

Henchman #4 and Jack-Stand Racer #2
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:30 AM
Reaction score
Check out this old school van project. I used to drive a van like this for work in 1987.
Although mine didn't have a Lexus V8 in the back, we did get the front wheels off the ground by bouncing up and down as we drove down the High Street at lunch times. :lol:

WILD!!

313290178_10223013725716672_6963969791459225676_n.jpg

Neat looking Van. Ive seen a few of those here in Alberta. Not in that good of shape though.

Saw this yesterday at Match Race Madness. I don't know what powered it, elaborate engine cover, but it was a five second eighth car.

20221119_112502.jpg

Solid mid to low nine second quarter mile.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine in Redlands, CA does fabrication work. One of his favorite projects is late 60 early 70's vans. Chops them way down, puts a BB Mopar in the back, uses a Casale V-drive and runs exhaust out the roof. They all wheelie pretty well. Leaves them raw steel or primer n usually ends up selling them for bank to people in Japan.

How about this 9-second Plumbers Van in Australia......complete with roof racks and drainpipe. :thumbsup:

I assure you folks that having a flat fronted vehicle is a real nightmare for wind resistance when going hard out.

I assure you folks that having a flat fronted vehicle is a real nightmare for wind resistance when going hard out.

Or just daily driving. I had a '65 Ford long van back in the day and a head wind would really slow you down. A cross wind was like driving a bill board down the road. It was similar to this one...
24121127911_a3a3b4d844_z.jpg

The van in the last video is probably running 10's if he would get it down the 1/4 straight and not back peddling it so much. Looks like a handful!

8.9 sec small block chevy. And it goes straight.

Looks like his camping stove pipe sticking out the side. :)

8.9 sec small block chevy. And it goes straight.

Looks like his camping stove pipe sticking out the side. :)

I hope he stacked his dishes in the cupboard before racing. :lol:

I have Al to thank - aka @HEMI-ITIS for alerting me to the Frankenvan last year. :thumbsup:

Check out this old school van project. I used to drive a van like this for work in 1987.
Although mine didn't have a Lexus V8 in the back, we did get the front wheels off the ground by bouncing up and down as we drove down the High Street at lunch times. :lol:
How about this 9-second Plumbers Van in Australia......complete with roof racks and drainpipe. :thumbsup:

I got in trouble in the AF for doing that to a Ford Econoline van lol

And he was having a nightmare before he had any wind resistance to worry about lol

Consistent ET, every time down the track. Same guy has a PT Cruiser with a V8 set back into the windshield area, making it a 2 seater.
I've seen him drive to the track, win, and drive home, getting some no ethanol, 92 or 93 premium gas at the nearby convenience store.
Here's the van:
Screenshot_20221123_102811_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20221123_102826_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20221123_102846_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20221123_102954_Photos.jpg

Here's my buddy Slim.

wasn't he the same guy on 'Roadkill'
I can't remember what season or episode
it was when they did that chopped van trying to wheelie it
but ended up using it in 'Stubby Bob' instead (blown rear-mounted bbc) IIRC
they were org. at his house IIRC,
they/he took out, a v-drive out of his running driving van
& traded them for theirs (or something like that)
that had a bigger input/output shafts
IIRC, they did wheelies on dirt/gravel with him in his, at his home

wasn't he the same guy on 'Roadkill'
I can't remember what season or episode
it was when they did that chopped van trying to wheelie it
but ended up using it in 'Stubby Bob' instead (blown rear-mounted bbc) IIRC
they were org. at his house IIRC,
they/he took out, a v-drive out of his running driving van
& traded them for theirs (or something like that)
that had a bigger input/output shafts
IIRC, they did wheelies on dirt/gravel with him in his, at his home
Yes, same guy. I met him in 2010. Back then he did most of his fab work w a 4-1/2" angle grinder, bench vice and welder out of a 10x10 bedroom in his house.

Yes, same guy. I met him in 2010. Back then he did most of his fab work w a 4-1/2" angle grinder, bench vice and welder out of a 10x10 bedroom in his house.
Thanks, I thought so... :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back