• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Freeing a 440 block

SteveSS

Local time
4:54 AM
Reaction score
It wont budge. It's out of the RV where it sat for 17 years. I'm hearing a bunch of advice. Marvel Mystery Oil, Diesel fuel, WD 40, something called Kroll which the auto parts store and I have never heard of.

Mystery oil in every cylinder and let it sit a day. Ive heard guys using wd40 and diesel with good results also

It's Kroil.....penetrating oil. If you have some ATF, that would work too or it should. Might take a bit longer is all...

I had one stuck, it was the wrist pins........had to get at it from the bottom (on a stand)..... took a lot of patience

It's KROIL, not Kroll. Just so you know what your looking for. Good stuff.
Website shown on the bottom of the can.

kroil.jpg

Oops, guess I type too slow, others already responded. :(

I had a friend that found a car that was stiting for over 30 years, motor was stuck he poured 4 to 5 ounces of coke-cola in every cylinder and down the carb for 6 days straight. Then took a socket wrench with a long bar and gently pulled on it and it turned over.

ATF and acetone
University of Colorado experimented with various penetrating fluids. Found ATF and acetone was best. Second best was vegetable oil and acetone.

Interestingly ATF and acetone beat PB blaster in all tests.

WD40 was at the bottom of all tests.

Criteria was to soak nuts and bolts in saltwater for several days. Then take a torque wrench and determine which broke loose easiest.

I unbolted the rods from the crank and pushed them out one at a time.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is ATF? My dad swore by Kroil for anything rusty. I've used that on things, but never heard of ATF.

kano makes kroil and a slue of other products as well . kanolabs.com . check them out .

great idea of the acetone mixes acetone is about as hot and thin as it comes outside of methaline chloride which we do not want to fool with anymore
how about brake fluid?
I do use KROIL
WD is a great water dispersant- overrated for most everything else

Is it still together? Remove heads at minimum. Cam and lifters can come out as well if they aren't stuck. From there determine which cylinders have rust. ATF and acetone them all.

Hopefully only a few rusty but if you have cylinders that are clean you can dismount the rods and slip the Pistons and rods out until you are down to the bare minimum that are stuck. Soak some more.

what was the acetone + atf mixture , i have used brake fluid on out side heavy eqp. never inside an eng though. we used to put a quart of atf in oil change of used cars . cleans them out and flushes hyd lifters ,

Testing showed that 50/50 up to 90 ATF 10 acetone had about the same results.

BTW liquid wrench is vegetable oil, acetone, and Teflon. I've had good results with liquid wrench, but also good results with ATF and acetone.

Auto Transport Service
Back