• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Freeze Out Plug Sealant?

Road Grabber

Local time
2:54 AM
Reaction score
I just installed a set of freeze out plugs, installed the engine during a recent refresh and one freeze out plug is leaking. Maybe I didn't smack in as far as I should? I will try pushing it in further tomorrow.

If I have to remove it and replace, does anyone use a particular sealant with the installation of freezeout plugs?

Luckily I think I can work with it since it's in the front driver side....

I don't want to do this again.

Thank you in advance.

Yeah I did use it.

I think you are right. Why should I catch a break and just solve it by smacking it in more?

Wishful thinking.

Do you let it sit overnight before refilling the engine?

Thanks

I was taught to use Permatex #2 (nonhardening). Apply it to the corner of the plug where the flat turns 90* to become a short cylinder. Just the corner is all you need as insertion will spread the sealant over the OD of the cylindrical portion.
Mike

Had 2 plugs leaking that my engine builder put Indian head on them. Knocked them all out and put The Right Stuff Black on them. No leaks Now.

I heard the "woke" version of indian head without the picture of the indian doesn't work as well. Maybe you got a bottle of the woke stuff. :lol:

20539_main.jpg

99448b_c5deb173-9d79-496c-b12e-35b74cdbdb33_grande.jpg

I have that Right Stuff sealant.

Just squirt around the outer edge?

I heard from an engine builder that sealant is like concrete to remove. They bend oil pans trying to get them off. It's better to have a gasket between parts to help remove parts or it can get really tough to get them off.

I used it though on my oil pan and valve covers. So far no leaks. The best stuff yet.

I heard from an engine builder that sealant is like concrete to remove. They bend oil pans trying to get them off. It's better to have a gasket between parts to help remove parts or it can get really tough to get them off.

I used it though on my oil pan and valve covers. So far no leaks. The best stuff yet.

Yeah but Id make sure your block side is super clean. If an engine builder is telling you he’s bending a pan from RTV he doesn’t know what he’s doing. I’ve already had my pan off 3 times trying to get a dang rear main seal leak fixed using nothing but The Right Stuff to keep from buying oil pan gaskets.

Yeah but Id make sure your block side is super clean. If an engine builder is telling you he’s bending a pan from RTV he doesn’t know what he’s doing. I’ve already had my pan off 3 times trying to get a dang rear main seal leak fixed using nothing but The Right Stuff to keep from buying oil pan gaskets.

The builder said if there was a gasket it came off easier but otherwise he had a tough time getting them off.

Were you able to get yours off when using the Right Stuff? Just curious because I did use it.

The builder said if there was a gasket it came off easier but otherwise he had a tough time getting them off.

Were you able to get yours off when using the Right Stuff? Just curious because I did use it.
Yes. Just use an elongated scraper and get under it and it’ll come off pretty easy once you get it started. I’ll end up using a gasket on the pan in the end when I get it right but I will also uses a thin smear of RTV on both gaskets for the pan and the windage tray.

Yes. Just use an elongated scraper and get under it and it’ll come off pretty easy once you get it started. I’ll end up using a gasket on the pan in the end when I get it right but I will also uses a thin smear of RTV on both gaskets for the pan and the windage tray.

I have had with oil pans leaking afterwards. This time I decided to use the performance felpro gaskets that are reinforced. I bought them at summit. I used two gaskets because I have a windage tray and had to fish out some longer bolts because the gaskets are thicker. I topped it off with the Right Stuff and it was easy to use because of the dispenser type container. Just have to work fast. No leaks so far. I used the same performance gaskets for the valve covers with Right Stuff. No leaks. Those stamped covers are a nuisance to seal. No more cork for me.

How about the Lion Head version?

20220109_163949.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back