• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fresh engien! Which oil after break in?

__Larsson____

Local time
10:41 AM
Reaction score
So after break in, which kind oil should i use? The shop manual says 10W-40 but should i use MINERAL or SYNTHETIC?

20200711_183408.jpg

What type cam you running? Flat tappet requires zinc. I run synthetic blend with a zinc additive. 440'

Valvoline VR-1, conventional oil containing zinc, mainly for flat tappet.

Amsoil has the ZROD oil, that has the zinc in it already, plus it is Amsoil, so IMO it is one of the best oils you can buy.
I am sure its expensive.
In my stock 69 383 I have been using STP 10w-30 , and adding one of the blue STP oil treatment bottles (it has ZINC added )in, or dumping a bottle of Lucas TB zinc plus, in.
As long as you add the zinc, if running flat tappet cam, then you can use what ever brand you like .
The Lucas TB zinc plus, it is $12 a bottle, the STP is $3-$4.

I am sure there are a lot of opinions on this, I look forward to reading peoples thoughts.

Like previous opinions, flat tappet cams want the high zinc oil or zinc additives. The weight depends on what the engine build is & RPM use. Larger bearing clearances tend to need a "thicker" oil. Ring package also may want different weight.

VR-1 10w30 here. It doesn’t matter if it’s conventional or synthetic as long as you have zinc.

Which is a parcel synthetic. A full synthetic too soon won't allow parts to break in properly. JMO
How many miles do you think a new engine should have before using full or partial synthetic? I have about 600 on mine and use VR1. If I do eventually use synthetic the Mobil1 15-50 has about 1300ppm of zinc IIRC.

Last edited:
15-50
you must have a lot of cleaeance
and in the NE
thing 0-30- or 0-40

15-50
you must have a lot of cleaeance
and in the NE
thing 0-30- or 0-40
Not a clearance issue but the fact that I used fully grooved mains. I can use 10-30 with no issues but that was about the only synthetic oil I've heard of that contains that much zinc.

I’m a brad penn fan just buy the best you can get, oil is cheap compared to a failure and the sick feeling you get when you blew a wad of hard earned cash.

0862388C-04F4-4037-B547-BB36E73F711C.jpeg

I’m a brad penn fan just buy the best you can get, oil is cheap compared to a failure and the sick feeling you get when you blew a wad of hard earned cash.

View attachment 976446

Hope you know that Brad Penn is now Penn Grade. Same formula, just different name. Same formula as the Kendall back in the day :D

20200719_121009.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back