• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fresh Paint on the Doba

Night Runner

Local time
6:17 PM
Reaction score
So I dropped of my 79 on wednesday at the paint shop to finish up the work I started so I can drive it again. Started prepping the body a year ago and only get ot drive it around the block since it doesnt have any lights or trim, or even paint on it for that matter. Hope to have it back by the end of Feb and then its off to the trim shop to have the new top installed. I found a place online that had the original 79 stamped vinyl for the roof, so it will be all stock. I am sticking with the original colors and materials except I am goign with base clear instead of the old single stage paint.

It is about 1.5 hours form my house so pics may not be as frequent as I would like.

On a side note, does anyone know where I can get new door seals for it. I have called and searched for the last 2 days and cant find anyone who makes rubber for the doors, only the trunk and roof rails.

So my cell phone pics will not upload, pics to come later.

Attachments

• Doba Prep 12.jpg
    Doba Prep 12.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 550
Couple more pics before I took it to the shop.

Attachments

• Doba Prep 2.jpg
    Doba Prep 2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 499
  • Doba Prep 6.jpg
    Doba Prep 6.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 489
Check metro: http://www.metrommp.com/
They may be pricey but they do carry them. You may find them elsewhere but they will probably be the same.

Well I had checked both of those places with no luck. They make the roof rail and trunk rubber but not the door for whatever reason. Dont know why they would R&D roof rails moulding and not the door too.

Is that an extremely low srt10 next to the doba in the garage?

Good luck with the car, looking forward to seeing the final results!

hmmm... its seems i saw them somewhere, i will keep searching for you. i have a buddy who has a farm ..yes 13, 75-77 dobas , a 78 and 79 doba, and 2 magnums that he is parting out. i got all my "new" seals off of parts cars for my Charger from him. it was crazy to find out that, out of all those cars he didnt have ONE charger SE lol

Thanks for all the help guys.

The truck in the pic was actually my old 06 Night Runner RC/SB Hemi, not SRT. I bagged it right where it sets along with all the other stuff I did to it. Dont go to shows like I did so I traded it in for the 06 Night Runner SRT-10 QC ram I have now. Looks the same with 2 extra doors and a viper motor. Good trade for me.

All the jambs have been sprayed and the under sides of the hood and trunk, this friday it will be all painted and pick it up next week after color sanding and buffing. Cant wait, got a garage full of parts that need a place to rest so it will be a mad rush to get it put together as much as possible before it goes to the trim shop on the 26th to get the top put on.

Attachments

• Paint work 012.jpg
    Paint work 012.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 389
  • Paint work 020.jpg
    Paint work 020.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 400
  • Paint work 013.jpg
    Paint work 013.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 402
its the factory paint code, linen cream on top and light cashmere on the bottom. The paint shop had to mix the lower color a little different from stock because I want the top material to match perfect and it was a little off from the original color on the car.

Couple other pics I had from yesterday.

Attachments

• Paint work 011.jpg
    Paint work 011.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 356
  • Paint work 021.jpg
    Paint work 021.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 361
Looking good Josh, Good luck Getting it finished!

So I got it back about 2 weeks ago and I have had some time to get most of it back together. Hopefully will get it to the trim shop this week for the top and I am waiting on some clips for the lower door trim. I have another new carpet set that will hopefully fit better than the other new carpet I put in it a couple years back. I cant wait to get the top back on it and see it all back together.

I ended up buying some universal 7/8 bulb style weather stripping and reused the upper molded parts that screw to the door itself seems to have worked pretty well, the only problem I seem to have now is that the roof rail molding is new and thicker. When the doors are closed and you go to roll up the windows they try to track to the inside of the rubber which keeps you from opening the doors without possibly breaking glass. If I roll them up before I close the door they seem to be okay, so I assume its just because it is all new rubber and needs time to form a little. The windows are usually up anyways since it has cold a/c.

Attachments

• Doba Pics 002.jpg
    Doba Pics 002.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 274
  • Doba Pics 004.jpg
    Doba Pics 004.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 260
  • Doba Pics 005.jpg
    Doba Pics 005.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 302
  • Doba Pics 006.jpg
    Doba Pics 006.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 307
Love those Premier Wheel Covers! They were such a bargain option back in the day and a very nice cosmetic improvement over the bland basic wheelcovers.
David

Auto Transport Service
Back