• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Friggin starters !

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:25 PM
Reaction score
Replacing original starter with smaller Dakota starter. First issue was the positive stud contacting the block. I had a really pretty spark shower for a couple of seconds. S, I remove Dakota starter and cut down the stud so that it will not touch the block. I say to myself "I should really try this before going through the hassle of installing it. I get it all wired up, but no dice, nothing....just a click when turning the key. I try jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver, nothing there either. If it was a cooked fusible link, would I even get the click when turning the key ?

Guys buy starters from here. https://www.dbelectrical.com/starters/automotive/dodge/mini-hi-tor
upload_2019-8-24_14-57-46.png
que/
Stud relocation kits. None mine.

You may have damaged the battery cable to the starter with the terminal to block incident.
Can you see if you have 12V at the starter lug? Even so when the starter tries to kick in if the cable is bad it may just drop to zero.
See if you can jump the solenoid to the starter lug right at the starter if you can get to it.

.. If it was a cooked fusible link, would I even get the click when turning the key ?
No, the fusible link is what carries 12v in through the ignition switch, and back to energize the starter relay when the key is turned(on the yellow wire). That click is the starter solenoid engaging, so if you're at least getting that your ignition circuit is okay. Like Don said, could have damage to the big red wire or even the connection inside the starter..that's a high-amperage arc, hopefully it didn't harm the battery. Bad battery could still produce 12v with the very small current needed to energize the solenoid, but not have enough amps to drive the starter motor..maybe try a different battery just to rule out. Just don't try too hard, if with a quick turn of the key nothing happens, stop! (You don't want a shorted starter frying another battery lol!)

Last edited:
I tried the old starter with its cable, same thing.
If turning the key 'clicks' the solenoid at the starter, and you have 12v present on the main starter lug (with your different known good starter and cable) then try another battery...(just grab the one out of your wife's car real quick:p). Again, just because you have 12v at the starter lug doesn't mean the battery has the balls left to spin it..and if there's no 12v, even with a good cable, battery's definitely a problem!

...I bolded that part in the above post because, the relay on the firewall 'clicks' too when the relay makes...it sounds a little different than the starter's click, but if the firewall relay is what you're hearing then you need to make sure the connection is good to the small post of the starter. That was Don's suggestion of jumping the small starter post directly to the big one. That would narrow the issue to the starter's solenoid or wire..

It is the firewall relay that I am hearing. If I try to jump the solenoid I get nothing, no click, spark , etc.

Ok! You need to get some power down there my friend!

Battery a little low at 12.4 volts. I would think that would not be too low to kick the solenoid. I will charge it up tomorrow.

Your battery should be around 13.5 or so when fully charged. One that's showing 12 is weak or something is wrong with it. 5 cells can produce 12v easily enough but it might not have the umph to turn the starter. How old is it? I just replaced the starter in my garden tractor (automotive type battery with 525 CCA) that showed the same....12v but it wouldn't do squat but made the clicks. It was also 13 years old lol

You didn't do your homework, did you?
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/elec/1.html

What happens with the starter hotwiring it to the battery out of the car?
That's a very old post from Moparts....gots to be some posts from here or FABO with better info.....or more up to date.

Ok, update time. I am getting power to the power lug on the starter. If I try to jump the relay....nothing. If I try it from the ignition key there is one click, but nothing else.

Ok, so...if you know your cable and starter are ok, (which I believe you tested by swapping known good ones in yesterday) and jumping from the big starter post to the small one still does nothing, the battery's toast regardless of the fact that voltage is present..

Update:

Everything is working ! The starter relay got smoked during the initial short of starter stud to block. I opened relay, boy did it stink. Well done to be sure. I bought a new one, rechecked everything, installed, and even with a low battery, it spins the motor.
Thanks everyone for the help !

I must have misunderstood, sorry. I thought you had tried directly jumping with a different good starter. Anyway, who cares now as long as it works! And thank you for the follow-up post! Time to burn some rubber!

Auto Transport Service
Back