• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frnknsteens '69 Charger project

FrnkNsteen

Local time
10:14 PM
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've been coming on here for a long time, but haven't started a project thread because, well, ... the first two shops that had my Charger never made any consistent progress.

As I have said in other threads, my car has been touched by a couple different people. The first was a "Mopar guy" someone I worked with recommended. He was a body guy that rebuilt mopars out of his home garage. Being new to the area, and not knowing anyone else, I went and looked at a couple cars he had done, or that were in progress and they seemed to look good, so we set a plan to go through the body of my cars. Couple years later,... very little progress, other than cutting everything apart all at once. Final straw was his splitting up with his wife and moving so he couldn't work on it any more.

Attached is a picture of how he left it. Passenger side quarter is just hanging and not attached.

Then This.jpg

Second guy had it for over a year and managed to look at it a lot and do a little welding on a door jamb. Left it like this.

DSC07693.JPG DSC07696.JPG

A little detail after this. Second shop had the building they leased get sold. New building owner immediately cancelled the lease because he had other plan for the building. This meant I had to quickly find a new home for the car.

Last edited:
This brings us to today.....

When I found out I had to move the car, I had to find a new home for it. My brother in law runs a rod & custom shop in northern Minnesota. I had held off on asking if I could bring it to them because I didn't want them to think I was playing the family card and looking for special treatment. Having to find a new place though, I decided I was over taking it to others and asked if they could take it on as a new project. I made it clear that I wasn't looking for special treatment, just someone that I could trust that would be straight with me and actually make progress.

The car was delivered to them late last fall, and was worked into the schedule at the end of January. First thing they did was inventory the parts I brought up there at the time and get the car inside safe.

Progress started the last week of January and consisted of fixing the issues the previous shops had either done wrong, or not completed. The quarters that had just been hung on the car were removed and the rusted floorpans were cut out. The LH frame rail was found to have dropped, so the car was anchored and the rail was corrected. The car was leveled on stands and measured for square and they started trimming as needed to fit the quarters. They tweaked the doors, jambs and rockers to align properly and the quarters were rehung and the taillight panel was set in place with screws to set deck alignment. Everything was clamped in place to fit.

The next week consisted of adjusting the doors, fenders, and hood to fit properly and bolt them down. Various tweaking was needed to get everything aligned properly and they started welding the LH quarter to the jamb, rocker and roof. They had to make slight adjustments and patches to the wheelhouses and start welding them to quarter. They then removed the rear panels and started welding in the trunk extensions.

I was able to get a couple pictures sent to me. When looking at the right side, there were a couple holes in the rocker that needed patching, plus they found the whole right side rocker was a huge mouse nest. They decided it was quicker and cheaper to cut away the rusty rocker and replace. Attached pictures I was sent along the way, but doesn't show all the work that has been done.

DSCN0306 (640x480).jpg DSCN2141 (640x480).jpg DSCN2153 (640x480).jpg DSCN2205 (640x480).jpg DSCN2093 (640x480).jpg

Week three consisted of finishing of welding work on RH Rocker and removal of LH rocker. They then screwed down the trunk floor where the welding hadn't been finished by the previous shops and finished all that welding and ground the welds. Floor pan final trimming was done to mate up to new floors properly. Doors, fenders, and rear panels were then removed to prep for mediablasting. All the under dash components (pedals, E-brake, air box) were all removed to prep for mediablasting.

The car was then put on a cart so engine compartment could be stripped (master cylinder, steering column) and front & rear suspension, k-member, all lines was all removed for media blasting. All the undercoating was then removed before media blasting.

I haven't gotten an invoice yet this week for last weeks work, but I talked to them last night and was told the car went through media blasting last week, and with the exception of a few pin holes in a places on a couple of the floorboard supports, it came through clean with no major surprises. They are hoping to finish metal work in the next 1-2 weeks and car will go to prep and paint.

So that's where we stand as of right now. It is impossible for me to describe how happy I am that this car is FINALLY making progress. It has been a LONG time coming. I started thinking about it, and I have had this car since I was 20 years old. I bought it in 1987 and it was the first car I ever bought for myself. It sat with a bad motor for YEARS while I was married to my ex because "We never had the money or space".

Fortunately, my current wife is extremely supportive in getting this complete. I am now 51 and just want this done, so I am having it done. I have had heart issues and I want it completed sooner rather than later so I can enjoy it while I still can. In the meantime I am enjoying tinkering with and driving my Barracuda.

More to follow, with hopefully more pictures as they continue to progress. They are taking pictures as they go, but I have only received the ones I posted. I don't need to see them all right now. Just a few here and there to keep me from going crazy with curiosity. We have progressed more in the last few weeks than in the previous 7 years I have been wanting this to be done!!

That's great that you finally found a reliable shop, I hate hearing stories where people constantly get hosed by shops... it happens often. So what's the plan for the car, all original, custom??

So,... Thought I would add a little background and future project vision....

I originally bought the car from a guy who ran Mopar powered dirt late models at the local 1/2 mile dirt track. It had a well built 440, with a Torker II intake that BARELY fit in under the hood. To this day, I believe he took one of his old race motors and put it in the car to sell. Being 19 and ignorant, I thought it was cool because it was fast as heck (once you got up above 2500-3000 rpm) and loud. Problem was that he put it in with a stock converter and trans so with all the cam in it, it would stall out every time I came to a stop light unless I kept the RPM's up. :rolleyes: Being the typical late teen, I drove it as hard as I could and was lucky I didn't kill myself.

For future vision,... The car was not number matching when I got it. Original 383 was long gone. There has never been a fender tag or build sheet with it since I have owned it. The nice thing is I feel that gives me the green light to build it however I want.

The plan is to go with 1968 LL1 Turquoise for color, because I like that color better than the 1969 Q5 lighter turquoise. I want something a little brighter than the B3 light blue it originally was, but couldn't find a '69 color I really like, and don't want to put the 70's high impact colors on this '69. Interior will be turquoise and white with white top and white tail stripe. The car originally came with bucket seats and the middle buddy seat. My plan is to keep the buddy seat (because I like having the arm rest) and the console-less 4 spd shifter. Interior will be mainly stock with some color changes on the dash. I just never thought an all black dash looked right with a white interior, so we will add some color in the right places to avoid glare, but still tie it in with the rest of the interior.

I picked up a 440 out of a 1968 Fury someone was parting out and it is currently at the machine shop getting ready for rebuild. Plan is to go for a slightly over stock setup. About 9.3/1 compression, performer intake, lower duration/higher lift cam to keep power band in lower RPM ranges for street driving. Planning to use the HP manifolds I already have to make the 4spd conversion easier and avoid space interferences. Already have a quote for the 4spd conversion parts from Brewer's Performance, and working with Doctor Diff on the brake conversion to discs, at least on the front.

Suspension will likely consist of an upgraded steering box and 1" torsion bars from Firm Feel, along with a complete suspension rebuild of course. This car will never be raced, but I want it to be nice to drive when I get on it from time to time.

That's great that you finally found a reliable shop, I hate hearing stories where people constantly get hosed by shops... it happens often. So what's the plan for the car, all original, custom??

Yeah,... It sucks! You are kind of at their mercy while it is torn apart. Good timing.... I was typing my plan while you replied (see above).

Sounds real familiar. Had to replace the quarters and outer wheel wells on mine. Had to wait a few years for them to become available in aftermarket. Finally bought them. Talked to a local shop. No problem. Said it would take three days max. I told him I'd call at the beginning of each week to see how busy they were and if they could fit me in. I'd bring it down so it wouldn't be sitting outside. One Monday he gave me the go ahead. I took it down. 1 year later after it sat outside the whole time I picked it and my parts up. Took them to another shop. Two weeks later it was done. It's been just over a 10 year project so far.

Sounds like a great build! And sounds like you took it to the right place in the end. Keep after it!

Good project! Good plan! Giterdun! Keep us updated! Chargers Rule!

Thanks guys! It is nice to be seeing progress. The funny part is I have never been more excited to get a bill! :) Funny how little getting a bill sucks when you are into it!

Just got this week's invoice,... Pictures to follow.

They removed all the undercoating last week and finished stripping the roof, cowl and Dutchman panel. They acid washed the stripped panels and media blasted the body, front and rear window jambs, drip rails, cowl, door jambs, engine bay underbody, and trunk (basically, everywhere on the body/chassis). After cleaning out all the sand and moving it back into the metal shop and prepped everything for epoxy prime. The week was finished out by patching a few spots on the RH inner rocker and welding in the new outer RH rocker and grinding the welds.

I will attach pictures as soon as I get them.

Got some new pictures of the progress. Seems like most of that weeks work was patching areas and reinforcing some spots. Sounds like they DID get the patching complete and the floors going in for good. They had to cut the frame connectors loose and relocate them a bit to get them in the right spot. As of the last invoice, they had the RH floor pans in and welded and were finishing up the LH side. The pictures are a little confusing because they the before and after shots from different angles, but I am glad to see they are replacing all the bad spots instead of just covering it up.

Kind of fun to see the 4spd hump sitting there ready to be installed. I ordered all the conversion parts from Brewer's and will pick them up once they have a transmission ready for me. I will bring it and the motor up to them once they are both done. It will be a full load of stuff going to Minnesota. Kind of sucks having the shop so far away that you can't stop in to see how things are going, but nice to see it moving forward, so you do what you have to I guess.

DSCN2289 (640x480).jpg DSCN2291 (640x480).jpg DSCN2293 (640x480).jpg DSCN2297 (640x480).jpg DSCN2303 (640x480).jpg DSCN2304 (640x480).jpg DSCN2312 (640x480).jpg

Sounds like they got a lot done last week and getting close to having all the metal work done!:praying: Lots of little patch jobs here and there

DSCN2310 (640x480).jpg DSCN2373 (640x480).jpg DSCN2375 (640x480).jpg DSCN2376 (640x480).jpg

A few more patchwork areas in and around the engine compartment, and they welded in the torque boxes I decided to add for extra rigidity. Don't have pictures of those going in yet, but it's on the invoice so it must be true! :) Fenders, doors, and quarters are back on and aligned. Invoice said they fit the taillight panel and valance, trimmed the valance corners and started welding everything in, but haven't gotten pictures of all that yet.

Here are the pictures I did get though. Lookie there!! It is starting to look like a Charger again. First time in nearly 7 years since the original body guy started cutting everything apart and then bailed on me! NOW I'm starting to get excited!!

DSCN2393 (640x480).jpg DSCN2395 (640x480).jpg DSCN2402 (640x480).jpg DSCN2409 (640x480).jpg DSCN2411 (640x480).jpg DSCN2438 (640x480).jpg DSCN2439 (640x480).jpg DSCN2441 (640x480).jpg DSCN2447 (640x480).jpg

It is amazing what a shop can do once the work starts and the plan is followed through with. It is really sad that the shops that hack a car up and then let it sit for extended periods. It really is a good sight to see that these guys are making good progress and that the thrill is there for you to get the car back on the road and be enjoyed. At the rate that they are moving, if your working on the subassemblies, you can be enjoying the car next year. Keep the work going and enjoy the ride.

Looks great. Progress is always so nice to see!

Thanks Diesel! Yeah, it's kind of strange because you look forward to getting the next bill, because even though it can be a little staggering sometimes,... you know it is making progress and you will be getting more pictures! :)

It is amazing what a shop can do once the work starts and the plan is followed through with. It is really sad that the shops that hack a car up and then let it sit for extended periods. It really is a good sight to see that these guys are making good progress and that the thrill is there for you to get the car back on the road and be enjoyed. At the rate that they are moving, if your working on the subassemblies, you can be enjoying the car next year. Keep the work going and enjoy the ride.

It's sad because I keep hearing about people getting taken advantage of by a lot of shops. Once the car is in there, it is a HUGE hassle and confrontation to move it. I always intended to have someone do the body work to put it back together and then finish it out myself, but after all this time, and after having a couple small heart attacks, and still working full time. I want it done while I can enjoy it. I'm having them do as much of it as I can possibly afford so I can get it done quicker and enjoy it.

We are converting it to 4spd, so Brewer's Performance is packaging up all those components and building a trans for me. I found a well recommended engine shop here local that is tearing the 440 down now and will start the machining work soon. I have been blasting and painting small components, and am in the process of cleaning up my taillights and putting them back together. Little by little it is coming together. :thumbsup:

Just got an email from the shop doing my car saying that they needed me to order the jack plate and jack spring for the trunk to finish the metal work. I don't know yet if that means that is ALL that is left, or just they are getting close to having it all done. I should receive a new bill and hopefully more pictures later today or early tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Of course this is just the first stage, and then it goes to prep and paint, then all the rest, but for me it is a HUGE milestone!! That body has been sitting torn apart for about 5 years, so it will be HUGE to have it back together in one complete assembly!!

Auto Transport Service
Back