• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FROM EDELBROCK TO HOLLEY CARB

XMAN JR

Local time
2:40 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone taken there edelbrock carb off & put on a holley carb with the same cfm ? Did you like the change ?

I went from a Eddy 750 to a Holley 770. Still runs rich and will be easier to tune than the Eddy. Also, looks much cooler. And no more fuel boiling/hot start issues.

Has anyone taken there edelbrock carb off & put on a holley carb with the same cfm ? Did you like the change ?

It depends on what you're expecting from a carburetor change. If the Edelbrock carburetor is in good condition and tuned correctly and you replace it with a similar Holley carburetor the chance that you'll notice a difference is nill. There are members that love AFB type (Edelbrock) carburetors and those that love Holleys. Personal preference. I have used both over the years and was happy with the operation of them after proper installation and tuning.
The important things are: 1) A clean fuel supply. 2) Proper fuel volume and pressure. 3) A heat insulating spacer between the carburetor and manifold, thanks to ethanol blends and the resultant low boiling point. 4) Correct tuning, including float level and drop, jetting, power valves (Holley), metering rods & springs (Edelbrock), and idle mixture adjustments. 5) No vacuum leaks.
Sometimes it might just be the physical look of a particular brand that lights someone's fire. To each his/her own...

I know this isn't what you're looking for, but I had an Edebrock 600 on my 383 and had starting issues and never really liked the way it ran even when it did start. I put on a used 750 holley with vacumn secondaries and it starts instantly now and runs much better. I also added a one inch spacer. I will be honest... I had more take off power with the smaller Edelbrock and no spacer than I do now, but with the spacer and Hollet 750, I have more top end, smoother idle and much better starting. I miss the take off power and I don't know if it's the carb, the addition of the spacer or maybe I have too big a carb for my basically stock 383 other than headers. Anyway, good luck.

I went from an Edelbrock carb ....to a Holley on my Wagon......a Holley Sniper. :lol:

Never going back to carbs now. :bananadance:

Depending on the build, I have found a zero difference. This also depends on the actual model Holley. The same cfm should be the same on each carb for a proper comparison. Graduating to a higher cfm will expose the above post to be 100% correct.

My last Edelbrock vs Holley same cfm. It was on a 318. Both being 600. The Holley was a electric 1860, the Edelbrock was a AFB electric choke.

Zero difference is n the mild build.

The more radical the build, the more you’ll want a highly adjustable Holley. Not just your average or slightly upgraded Holley.

Now, did I like the change? Well, I would say a lot depends on which carb you find easier to tune for yourself. I find the Carter type carb easier. While I don’t like taking the top off for jet changes, I do find that once I’m close, it’s just a super simple metering rod swap. 1 screw. Bamm!

Super tuning a Carter style carb can be a pain. The top comes on and off a lot to really get that thing dialed in super sweet. And it is possible! But a huge pain.

The Holley has so many trick additional extra & extra external parts to tune with that I found it super annoying! BUT, that’s only if you need it. The Holley can be tuned better. That doesn’t exactly Guarantee you’re going to be faster. Just more efficient.

And no more fuel boiling/hot start issues.

Did you have the OE style thick gasket under the carb? There approximately .333 thick.

Tuneability and less heat sink are the advantages of a Holley but most any carb can be tuned to run great. The biggest killer to carb performance is oxidation or gum, carbs that have sat for long periods of time if not properly cleaned will have circuits totally blocked off and will never run right until cleaned up.

Tuneability and less heat sink are the advantages of a Holley but most any carb can be tuned to run great. The biggest killer to carb performance is oxidation or gum, carbs that have sat for long periods of time if not properly cleaned will have circuits totally blocked off and will never run right until cleaned up.
As a note, there are newer all aluminum Holley carbs that will heat soak very easily like a Edelbrock does, so use a thick gasket underneath.

Auto Transport Service
Back