• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Black Out Treatment Opinions

Runner 68

Tarnished Bronze Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:51 PM
Reaction score
Hello Gents. Many of you know me, many don't.
Slowly chipping away here on my 68 RR build and I'm looking for opinions on the front radiator support black out.
This is a resto-mod (sorry purists but I welcome your opinions from an aesthetic standpoint), convention is out the window.
This car originally came with the black out treatment.
Just looking for opinions at this point and I realize opinions are like like @ssholes, everybody has one.
Original W1 white with blue Murano. Pics below. Interested in your thoughts. Blackout or no?
The support is currently shot with single stage W1, no problem to cover it.
Opinions welcome.

IMG_1836.jpg IMG_1837.jpg IMG_1838.jpg IMG_1839.jpg

What are you blacking put? Front of rad support or...?

personally, I prefer to see nothing but black behind the grill when looking through it. I would black out the headlight bucket area and the middle section of the radiator support.

light colored cars got blackout from the factory. They shot from a pit underneath the front of the car. That white paint will show through the grill for sure but it's your car. I would blackout.

Headlights, radiator support, etc per OEM specs. Anything that can be seen from the front that wasn't meant to be body color.
Got it. You have a lot of pics of the engine bay. Wasn’t sure what you were after.

Yes, black it out. I would use either PPG or SEM trim black.

I agree with the blackout, just do it neatly, not like the OEM treatment!
Mike

Black it out.... took me a lot of deep thought, but done deal and that was on B5'ish.. can't imagine it not blacked out on White.
beerestoration2019 1140.JPG
beerestoration2019 1189.JPG

I tried to re create the factory appearance and it looked like some kid with a spray bomb did a bad job of Graffiti. Cleaned it up with clean lines and immediately knew it looked better. But you do your car the way you want it :thumbsup:

2DC09945-A2A7-4460-B9DD-CDB549B5C285.jpeg 9DC245C2-9431-4F86-8E97-6B90A3A1C908.jpeg D294C271-7049-4709-A7D8-AC38DD29A76C.jpeg

Thanks all.
I was leaning towards black out and I'm now thinking that's way to go.
Albeit a little more labor for me but that has never been a factor in this project.
Thanks for the input.
BTW Dad, killer paint on the Bee, simply killer.

I agree with the others...Black out. One of the things that really irks me at shows is when the rad supports and headlight area has not been blacked out, the other is the wheel wells being left body colour.

The 73 Roadrunner I had years ago was all original and it had several loops where the factory guy got lazy about blacking out the rad support and other areas.

Kind of a pain to tape the whole car off, but you have got to do the blackout....

20191126_121446.jpg

BLACK OUT!

Mine was repainted before I bought it and was not blacked out. Never liked the look. I pulled the grill and rattle canned it. It looks SOOO much better.

Last edited:
Not blacked out looks bad.

mopp_1004_13_o+1967_plymouth_valiant+comparison_2.jpg

I just can't believe all the work and expense put into a restoration and not finishing the job right.

Just depends if you want a "factory look" to the job.

Then make it sloppy.

4503DFDA-6C58-4CFA-95A6-C24120E1F093.jpeg
988AE5F4-2EBF-4F39-A498-F4631E334B35.jpeg
They definitely were not even close to perfect. Probably shoot it with a rattle can with no taping off. Here are some pics of my 69 bee black out. Original.

Auto Transport Service
Back