• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Black Out Treatment Opinions

They were shot from underneath with a weed sprayer type wand using thinned down undercoating. A friend has a extremely low mile Barracuda (68 I believe) and the black out is splattered on the underside of the hood. He has a white car. We have had discussions about if all colors got coated. There are some black, dark blue, and dark green cars that you think wouldn't need coated but were coated, and some light colored cars were not.

Don’t remember where I got the information, possibly from Mopar Action, Mopar Muscle. The article/ information stated, and showed some pictures. Dark Blue, Dark Green and Black cars did not have blackout. Naturally black cars already had black.

I did mine body color and will keep it that way. I did do the headlight buckets black but on a 67 Coronet you wont see a whole lot anyways... I am painting the latch support black and that's it.
I have an natural aluminum condenser to boot.

20200723_141307.jpg

Hello Gents. Many of you know me, many don't.
Slowly chipping away here on my 68 RR build and I'm looking for opinions on the front radiator support black out.
This is a resto-mod (sorry purists but I welcome your opinions from an aesthetic standpoint), convention is out the window.
This car originally came with the black out treatment.
Just looking for opinions at this point and I realize opinions are like like @ssholes, everybody has one.
Original W1 white with blue Murano. Pics below. Interested in your thoughts. Blackout or no?
The support is currently shot with single stage W1, no problem to cover it.
Opinions welcome.

View attachment 1002098 View attachment 1002099 View attachment 1002100 View attachment 1002101
Nice choice in paint. Single Stage W1!

image.jpg
I painted mine. Used a rattle can of high temp barbecue paint. LOL

Don’t remember where I got the information, possibly from Mopar Action, Mopar Muscle. The article/ information stated, and showed some pictures. Dark Blue, Dark Green and Black cars did not have blackout. Naturally black cars already had black.
I have a friend with a b7 dark blue 70 a66 challenger, and her car definately got factory blackout. She has owned it since the early 80s.

Nice choice in paint. Single Stage W1!
Funny you say that. It is W1 base. W1 was original on this car.
It is actually a tri-stage, W1 white with Blue PPG Murano in DBC clear with DC4000 on top.
Interesting how you think it looks like single stage W1 in those pics. That tells me I didn't over do it with the Murano.
You should see it in person.
Bird2.jpg

IMG_1836.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg

IMG_1893.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back