• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Brake Conversion Question On A 1970 Roadrunner

soundhd

Local time
8:56 AM
Reaction score
Front Brake Conversion Question On A 1970 Roadrunner With 14" Wheels

Have a 1970 Roadrunner (383 car) with factory power 4 wheel drum brakes. Want to convert the front brakes to disc and be able to keep the stock 14" wheels. Does anyone make a kit that will fit the stock 14" wheels? If I found a kit that will work what else will I have to change? Have a photo of my master cylinder/booster and distribution block. What else would I have to change or add to make the disc brake kit work correctly?

Thanks

70RRmastercylindersmall.jpg

distblocksmall_zps263720ea.jpg

I just went through the same research on my 69 Coronet. It originally had power drum brakes and I'm converting to power discs. There's lots of manufacturers that sell kits to fit 14" wheels, but the two best that I've come across are Wayne @ The Ram Man and Cass @ Dr. Diff. The Ram Man guarantees his brake kit will fit 14" wheels. A lot of FBBO members also give props to Pirate Jack. I went with the big 11.75" rotor kit from Dr. Diff since I have to get new rims anyway. And you have to change the prop valve to a disc/drum unit. Again, that's why i narrowed my search down to Wayne and Cass because they know exactly what parts you need to do a complete conversion.

73' to 76' a body front discs are a direct bolt in along with a prop. Valve

I had a 70 RR with front disks and 14" rims

I guess you know you can use C body bigger brakes but have to use 15 inch rims
I did one using manual MC- worked fine
I did go one size smaller on the rear wheel cylinders to balance (rears were sliding on hard stops)
no proportioning valve
just removed the residual valve from the mc- you need to do this also

I have 2 of the kits sold by Pirate Jack. They use everything from the F-Bodies. I've had 14" rollers on my Charger and they cleared fine.

If you fine original 70RR spindles, with the adapter, you can get Remanf KH Calipers from AZ, Brake Lines and valving from Right Stuff, 11" Rotors from Centric and have basically a stock 70 RR setup that will work with 14" brakes.

Auto Transport Service
Back