• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front brake drums Hub removal

Gregg DeGeorge

Local time
4:25 AM
Reaction score
hello ,local Napa store found me a pair of new drums for my 68 Roadrunner,I need to remove the hubs from the old drums ,been years since I had a drum brake car ,do they need to be pressed off at machine shop or will a 4x4 and. Hammer do the trick ,my old drums were only hitting in the middle hopefully this will improve the brakes thanks Gregg

The studs will probably have to be pressed out before separation is possible.
If you've given it the old college try with the sledge and wood method on the hub, that's what is left to do.

Of course, a Napa (Never American Parts Available) store ordered in the easily obtainable cheapy Chineseum brake drums for you....
I have N.O.S. U.S.A. made drums , N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ brake shoes, and Lefty and Righty Wheel Studs....
Also have a sheet on how Hub & Drum changeovers MUST be done -- it is a process with the proper tools and knowledge ... It is not just bang away with a hammer.....

Always best to simply call me -- Craig -- 516 -485-1935

Look real close at the wheel stud where they go through the drums. You'll see a tool scraped metal from studs to help hold drums.

Would they be swedged studs on the '68 ?

20170814_221703.jpg
20170814_221735.jpg

Post #233 if they are.

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/taking-up-new-residence.114133/page-12

Maybe a deep bi-metal hole saw?
Pressing out a swedged stud may damage the hub splines.

Thanks I need to press out the hub new drum is just a drum you have to swap. The hub over its been 30 years since I last did this though I would tap it out no way it’s really in there thanks

If you feel the need to removed swedged material a touch with a ctoff wheel.
Disagree in post #4?

Those are swaged. As above, holesaw to remove it or, what I did, cut the studs off and center drill them close to o.d. then punch out.

Yup, the fronts are swaged and you will ruin the old drums or damage the hub if you just use the big old hammer trick...

Auto Transport Service
Back