• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front end mysteries

Snook

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:02 AM
Reaction score
The shop dropped the front end, K-member and the complete front suspension out of my 66 Coronet post car yesterday. I think we've figured out that it is an old police car - it has mounts for dual antennas in the rear by the rear window and deck lid, both sides.

Anyway...
  • this thing has a massive front sway bar, 1.125" - it's larger than the 0.93" 68 Charger R/T sway bar I have here and was going to use.
  • It also has disc brakes, either 10.75 "or 11" - pretty sure they are 11" discs - I pulled off superbird or E-body calipers.
  • The discs are heavy duty; what I though were wheel spacers are actually cast into the disc hats.
  • The upper control arms have a bolt and sleeve installed by the UCA ball joint - I have not seen this before. I suspect they are part of an UCA limiter setup.
I'm uploading some pics to help in identification.

Thanks, snook

DSC_8140_a.jpg DSC_8141.JPG DSC_8142.JPG DSC_8142_b.jpg DSC_8143.JPG DSC_8144_a.jpg DSC_8145.JPG DSC_8145_a.jpg

Very well could have been a police car, I haven't seen that on any 66-67. I would like to see a better picture of the mounts for the sway bar on the K frame. I also have a interest in a picture of the rear antenna holes. I know there was a rear antenna option on 67's but I don't think it would be for dual antennas. If I remember it would be right side only and probably not on a post car.

Did it have 4 piston calipers? The single disc brake master cylinder on 66 cars had an add on piece to top of reservoir to increase volume, RARE. Someone doing a restoration might pay a good buck for one. Picture of it?

Original master is long gone. Had a GM power booster and dual reservoir on it. They beat the inner fender in just to make room - I Had to replace both inner fenders. Here's a few pics of the antenna mounting hole. They are single piston calipers.

snook

20200326_121734.jpg 20200326_121753.jpg

I'll get some pics of the sway bar K-member mounting tomorrow.

snook

Very well could have been a police car, I haven't seen that on any 66-67. I would like to see a better picture of the mounts for the sway bar on the K frame. I also have a interest in a picture of the rear antenna holes. I know there was a rear antenna option on 67's but I don't think it would be for dual antennas. If I remember it would be right side only and probably not on a post car.
Both my 67 R/Ts are rear mount. Same dealer ordered both of them, build dates are a month apart. Legend says the dealer installed the antennas.

Not trying to hijack but here’s some pics. Both antennas were identical and had no Chrysler part numbers.
Car 1
3CF651A8-B030-4AA4-BD0F-3BDA5B11EC41.jpeg

Car 2
96A83F5E-50F2-482E-A367-848D49C4F71A.jpeg

According to Moparnation74 antennas were dealer install so they wouldn't be broken during shipping. Mine was near the same position as the R/T in post #11.

The only rear antenna I have ever seen, other than what is now posted, looked exactly like the factory front antenna and about the same place as the R/T in post #11.

The only rear antenna I have ever seen, other than what is now posted, looked exactly like the factory front antenna and about the same place as the R/T in post #11.
Here's a Satellite similar to mine with antenna on left quarter panel. Mecum 2016? Kissimmee.
Mecum 2017 kissimmee 2.JPG
I filled mine in, shouldn't have.

And yours was on the left and not the right. I guess if they were dealer installed, dimensions and antenna are irrelevant.
Sorry didn't say,mine was on the right. The antenna cable was like somebody threw in under carpet and it was zig zag not at all neat.

Last edited:
Here's some pics of how the sway bar is attached to the K-member. I'll get some more on the backside when I disassemble the front end.

snook

DSC_8153.JPG DSC_8154.JPG DSC_8155.JPG DSC_8156.JPG DSC_8157.JPG DSC_8161.JPG DSC_8162.JPG

Behold the mighty 489 case 2.76:1 peg leg, the one wheel wonder, the master of acceleration punkin suspended in midair, see pics. It's obvious that someone robbed the sure grip punkin as evidenced by the right stuff sealer (no gasket of course). See pics.

snook

DSC_8158.JPG DSC_8159.JPG DSC_8160.JPG

From all I see a lot has been changed. Non standard front sway bar mounts, rear suspension hangers, and a non sure grip pumpkin, or at least it's been out before. Nothing that is not typical for the age of the car or cannot easily be fixed.

Yeah, I can fix it. Standard procedure, been there done that. It will be like new or better when I finish it. I weon't be re-using anything in that front end, I'm building a new setup with a better K-member and brakes. I'll re-use the 489 case and stuff it with a sure-grip and 4.10's.

snook

Auto Transport Service
Back