• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front end problim

snake

Local time
3:27 PM
Reaction score
Thought i would try here,hope you all dont mind.its my 69 dart that I am having a problim with.I bought this car to restore very solid car.After removing the 318 i notice that when pushing it forward the left tire would stay stright but the right tire would toe inward.Come to a stop the left is stright but the right tire is turned in enough that you can see it very easy.I know the frontend neds to be rebuild so i installed new uca bushings ,upper ball joints,lower ball joint,s lower controll arm bushings, and new rubber strut arm bushings also wheel bearings.I have not replaced the inter or outer tie rods yet or pitman arm or drag link.So the problim is still there push it forward and does the same thing.What could be the problim,is it the tie rods there seams to be some play in them.I am loosing sleep over this one.Any thoughts would be very greatfull at this time.

The drag link is a non seviceable item. Sounds like you have extensive wear in the idler arm, tie rod ends and possibly the pitman arm.

wow thanks for the quick reply hotrod98.So if all of the above is worn out witch it likly is being 40 years old why would the right side be doing this and not the left side.Thanks alot.the drag link should i replace it also.

The left wheel is much closer to the steering box/pitman arm, so there are fewer points to be worn out.....exactly half as many. The passengers side you have two points on the idler arm, plus the inner and outer tie rods ends. Driver's side it's just the tie rod ends.

Thanks guys.sounds like i amon the right track now.witch part do you think is the likly worn part? that would cause problim or all of the above is the problim.

Just anouther thought I forgot to say.The Dart was being loaded on to a flat bed toe truck yesterday and as it was being pulled up that right tire turned like i was saying.So I can grab the tire and strighten it myself and the steering wheel stayes stright and the left tire is stright.This sound normal as to thoes parts beeing shot.I must say many thanks I feel a little at ease right now.:grin:

Yep. Whatever is causing it is not related to the steering box/pitman arm

Thanks 69 runner so it soulds like i need to relpace all tierods and idler arm correct.Thanks Don.

Sounds like they definitely need to be checked. While you're at it you might as well check the driver's side tie rods as well. Pitman might be bad, but they tend to last a very long time

What I should have said is check the pitman it might be bad, but they last a very long time

Ok thanks again.I could not get this much help over at FABO.PS I do miss my 74 Roadrunner i sold it to get a 69 Dart.O well live and learn.

Auto Transport Service
Back