• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front end rebuild labor hours

Lamadogg

Local time
9:14 AM
Reaction score
What is estimate in hours to remove and replace all front-end components/bushings (tie rods, ball joints, contol arms, bead blast and jet coat A-arms and control arms, sway bar, torsion bars and convert stock drums to disc set-up on ‘69 RR. Regular bushings used with parts sources frim Summit and Rock Auto. Just looking for LABOR (in hours) to help validate an existing cost. Thx.

Depends if the front end is rusty or not. The last one I did was on a '69 roadrunner that sat out in the west Texas desert for 30 years. Everything on that thing was a pain in the butt to get loose even after hosing it down with penetrating oil for 3 days.... probably took three times longer than it should have.

Depends on a lot of factors... As Cranky mentioned rust is a biggie... Straight rebuild or time spent cleaning & detailing.... I've done allot of them so I know the tricks & have all the tools... But I don't move as fast as I did twenty years ago... These days probably 10-12 hours for a straight O/H add a couple hours to deal with the grief the brake change over is sure to add.... Detailing? anywhere from 2-10 hours depending on how carried away you want to get...

Oh, when I'm done it goes out for alignment, my guy has been doing it since the early 70's & he's not cheap.. But he's damn good..

I had a place install a 4" lift on a 2006 Jeep
Wrangler. Everything on the chassis replaced.
All new bearings, brakes, bushings, brake
hoses, tie rod, link arm, spindles, ball joints,
tie rod ends, springs, shocks, and driveshaft
u-joints. It took 6 hours, start to finish. Labor
and parts came to just about $1800.00.
(also included a front end allignment).
Not sure if this would be a fair comparison,
but changes involved all four corners. Not
just the front end.

Typical repairs are listed in a Flat Rate Manual. Then you just plug in the local hourly flat rate price. In So. Cal. It can up to $200 per hour. You would have to contact someone in your area to get comp pricing. But again Replacing a tie rod is one thing. Prepping and doing a specialized service like powder coating is up to the quality standards of who ever you have doing the job.
If the job is well done here is what you should remember, Just like buying top quality parts, "The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten."

I just did one on my 66 all new everything cleaning detail the works even new brake hoses 13 hours and I was moving at a steady pace with no brake it was a lot of work and the front end was all the factory parts.

I just did one on my 66 all new everything cleaning detail the works even new brake hoses 13 hours and I was moving at a steady pace with no brake it was a lot of work and the front end was all the factory parts.

If a shop were to charge 60 bucks an hour X 13 hours, you're looking at $780.00 in labor, but my guess is that you'd be looking easily at a grand + parts ... without cleaning & detailing and alignment.

Flat rate doesn't take into effect if there is any damage to the existing parts, rust etc. Time is for straight swap without issues. And if you are expecting a $59.95 alignment when its ready, there is some beachfront property for sail in Arizona you should buy.

Auto Transport Service
Back