• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

front speaker

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:23 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to fit 2- 4" round speakers in a front dash of a 69 Road Runner using the factory bracket? I bought a 4x10 dual voice coil model from Custom Auto Sound. It fit with some modifying, but I am not happy with the sound quality. I was wondering if a guy used 2 holes from each 4" to mount to the factory bracket and make a brace to hold the inside four holes toghether. This would all have to clear the heater control and top of the stereo.

I didn't do this to my RR but I did on my 71 Ranchero. I used two 3" or 3.5" two way speakers and they fit just fine. The speaker hole is about the same size and the depth is similar. I also did this trick on an old Mercedes and it worked fine. I don't know if you can fit the 4" ones though.

When you make the bracket think about the natural frequency of the structure. Make it rigid so it doesn't rattle when you have the tunes cranked up. I made the one in my Ranchero out of 1/4" acrylic and made a foam gasket between the metal dash and the custom frame. Hope this helps.

I did the same on my 70 Road Runner - put a pair of Infinity 3.5" speakers in the dash opening. Lots better sound than the factory whizzer cone speaker. Being small they are shy on bass, but my 6x9s in back make up for that.

Thanks guys. This winter I am going to build a mount for a pair of 3.5"'s.

If I can get these old bones to contort under the dash I'll try and get a pic of my setup and post it.

I ended up modifying a original speaker mount bracket and put in 2 - 4 inch speakers. It really sounds nice and the 4" units are capable of alot more power than a 3.5" would.

Auto Transport Service
Back