• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Suspension Rebuild.

72 charger

Local time
5:17 PM
Reaction score
I need a little more help on my front suspension for my 72 charger problem because quite frankly i have no clue what im doing when it comes to the front suspension. I was told that i needed to rebuild the front suspension and that there is a kit for it; where can you get these kits at and what does it include? also should the torsion bars be replaced? and can anyone tell me how to removed the torsion bars and control arms i have the k frame out of the car but i think we took it out the hardest way possible and may have ruined the struts i know there is some sort of tool to remove torsion bars but like i said i dont know anything about these suspensions. Thanks a lot you guys are the greatest. :yes:

I'll get this started. PST www.p-s-t.com and Just Suspension www.justsuspension.com are two companies that have front end rebuild kits. They normally include upper and lower ball joints, upper A-arm bushings, lower control arm bushings, strut rod bushings, outer tie rod ends, sway bar bushings, and new sway bar links and bushings. Other parts (inner tie rod ends, tie rods, Pitman arm, idler arm, etc.) are also available. You can buy tools to help make the rebuild job easier.

I haven't taken mine apart in years. It is easy, though. I'l let somebody else go through the process. Good luck!

The first link you posted is the one you'll want to go with. Keep in mind this is just original rubber not the polygraphite kit. I went with the polygraphite kit and really liked the feel and firmness of it. But if you are trying to save a little the original is cheaper.

I must say I'm a little confused when you say you don't know how to remove the torsion bars but yet the K-member is already off the car. That should mean your torsion bars are already out as I can't comprehend how you'd remove the K-member with out first taking off the torsion bars. But as far as having to replace the torsion bars, if there are no deep gouges or cracks in them they will be fine to use.

Well i knew once we got it out we did something wrong. The only think i can tell you is we took all the bolts holding the frame on and pulled on the front of it until it could clear the radiator support and in doing so we bent the struts that attach to the front of the frame so now i need to figure out for the torsion bars come out. I know there is a tool to do it but where do you get them?

I'm having a hard time visualizing what you have done. But if you don't have the "tool" to take the torsion bars out of the Lower Control Arms. Simply unbolt the Lower control arms from the K-member and hit the lower control arm with a rubber mallet to drive it towards the rear and off the K-member. You should get to a point where the Torsion bar can easily be pulled out.

Here is a picture so you can see what is attached still in terms of the control arm and see that there is no k frame in but the torsion bar is still attached.

What the he....Where is your Lower Control Arm Pivot shaft? From what I can see it looks like you should be able to remove your shocks and the Lower Control Arm will swing on the Lower Ball Joint after that. Then take the clips off the back of the torsion bars; These will be located on the back side of the Torsion bar crossmember. Then you should be able to either smack the LCA with a rubber mallet like I had said. Oh and be careful because the shock right now is really the only thing holding your tire and everything connected to it.

BTW if you did end up bending your strut rods and need to buy some new ones let me know. I have a pair of the heavy duty type that Mancini sells. Just measure your length so I can make sure the ones I have will work for you.

Auto Transport Service
Back