• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front sway bar end link geometry

Rjvb3

Local time
4:20 AM
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm mocking up my front hotchkis sway bar and running into a few obstacles. For a little background, I'm running qa1 LCA's with a full Hotchkis TVS kit and stock k member on my 69 coronet. As suspected, the sway bar end links do not line up with the tabs on the QA1 lowers. The original plan was to fab a 90* bracket from the lower shock mount hole to mount the end link to.

The issue with that is the offset in the eyes on the end links are several inches apart, and the end link bushings will be seating far from square, and be only millimeters away from the strut rod. I believe this will casue rapid wear on the link bushings.

To counter this I had an idea. Thought of using 4-bar rod ends with poly bushings (https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spee...hread-Zinc-Plated,25122.html?sku=91008001-STR) on both the LCA tab and the sway bar and running a bolt with a spacer though it, mocked up as pictured.

PXL_20220508_172823883.jpg

PXL_20220508_173031708.jpg

Again, this is only a mock up, I'm not quite dumb enough to use a pair of offset spherical rod ends to try to control tensile stress. But with a pair of rod ends with poly bushings, I would have tons of room, it would allow some flex in the bushings, and things would align great. Does anyone see any potential issues or potential to bind with this? I am by no means a suspension geometry expert.

I realize there may be other sway bar options that would fit better, but I already have this thing and would prefer to keep and use it.

Thanks!

Is that a weld on the strut rod?
Not sure that bar will work like that they need a pretty straight "push" so they don't deflect.
I believe it may be easier to change that bar for one that lines up with the mount on the lower arm.
How far is that bar off the asphalt?

That won't work. At all.
You should investigate the strut rod clamp style like the early 66 Chargers. Looks like it would line up.

Is that a weld on the strut rod?
Not sure that bar will work like that they need a pretty straight "push" so they don't deflect.
I believe it may be easier to change that bar for one that lines up with the mount on the lower arm.
How far is that bar off the asphalt?

Yes, the Hotchkis strut rods have a weld near the control arm. Looks plenty stout though. I have not measured it yet, but it is slightly higher than the outer tie rods.

That won't work. At all.
You should investigate the strut rod clamp style like the early 66 Chargers. Looks like it would line up.

Thanks for the tip. That may be an option. I think im going to try and just make a bracket off the lower shock mount first and see how it goes. Looking around, it seems fairly common for the end link bushings to have a bit of a tilt to them. I suppose after they are touqued down, it may not matter much. Plus I already have everything so it will save me a hundred bucks or so..

Well I got it figured out. I ended up just using some angle iron and gussets to make a mount off the lower shock bolt. I have almost a 1/4" between the link and the strut rod on each side and the angle of the link on the bar isn't terrible, I've certainly seen worse.

Atleast it goes to show using a hotchkis sway bar as part of their TVS kit is possible with qa1 lower control arms. There were multiple threads saying the two were not compatible and one must use a 70+ style bar or qa1 k member with their matching bar.

PXL_20220510_040532086.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back