• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Turn Signals are correct but Rear signals are not ??

72 Satellite

Local time
10:04 PM
Reaction score
When I turn on my signals, the fronts are correct and the rears are opposite. I'm sure it's something idiotically stupid on my part, but thought I'd ask in the event anyone else has experienced the same thing, or can give me some better troubleshooting tips.

I recently made several upgrades to the cars wiring, and that's when the issue appeared. Changes included all new harnesses except the dash harness. This included the turn signal switch/harness and the Ignition switch/harness as well. All new AutoMeter Gauges, which required splicing some of the original dash wires in with the new "Classic Dash" engine side harness. Since the Turn Signal switch/harness is "Plug & Play" with the original Dash Harness, I know I can't be at fault there. I guess I will have to verify if the new Turn Signal Switch harness has the rear indicator wires reversed? Everything else works lights-wise (Head lights, Tail lights, Brake & Reverse lights). All of the grounds are very solid. The only other thing of note is the Turn Signal Flasher and Hazard Flasher aren't working. I plan on changing those out as they look quite old and could have been damaged when I was re-doing the harness work. Thanks in advance for any tips or help.

Sounds like the wires on the turn signal switch maybe flip flopped ... idk with having a fsm and test light you can find it quick.

Last edited:
Get yourself a good wiring diagram. It will make tracing the splice in question much easier.

Fronts ok, then turn switch ok: then it sounds like either in trunk OR under inside rocker/behind rear seat back wire run (if like my 72 Charger).Use old analog volt meter at trunk connector with ts on to see what you have. GOOD LUCK

Problem “I recently made several upgrades to the cars wiring”
Thats where you start
Wiring diagram
DVOM
test light
Long jumper wire with clips
Start tracing and color coding

So, just drive in new jersey, all the idiots here don't signal or signal wrong anyway....
EASY!! EASY!! I only do THAT when people are hanging in left ,or center lane, and they drive a PRI-US!!!!:lol:

Thanks for the replies. I'll be using my DMM & Test light in the coming days to diagnose this issue and others that I discovered after my first post. I agree the new Rear Light harness is most likely the culprit for the "opposite" signals in the rear. While we are on the subject, does anyone know a good source of new or refurbished Pigtail assemblies for any or all of the lights? Thanks in advance again for the help.

Try Dantes Mopar in south Jersey: just over Commadore Barry bridge: kinda close to you: close= low shipping cost, more $$$$ for "toys", "upgrades", parts & BEER!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back