• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frozen Head Rests

69 R/T

Local time
11:34 PM
Reaction score
The head rests in my 69 Coronet are stuck in the elevated position. I think it looks like bad and I'd like to lower them, but they're stuck. Both of them wont budge. I saw a great photo submitted on the site showing the tensioner against the notches of the head rest posts on a stripped seat frame, and my previous cars rest's would adjust with some heavy handed enthusiasm, but these dont.
Any ideas how to remedy this?

216_V2008082111302915.jpg

Before forcing them down or using some break free on them to take care of any corrosion that may have them stuck (stuff really stinks) I think I'd pull the seat backs and try to see what is going on.........just to make sure a previous owner hasn't bolted them in place somehow

Thanks for the compliments. How do the seat backs come off? In all the years I've had these cars, I've never had to remove them.

I think if you flip the back forward (funny when you think about it) there are two screws at the bottom. Take them out, then the back should "slide down" and come off.

I think

Just remove the set of screws on the chrome bezel at the base of the headrest the keepers also the tensioners will come off. A little WD40 and they should come loose. The foam inside these molded trim headrest can get dry and crumbly so work them carefully. You wont see much by taking off the back trim. A no bounce nylon hammer against the side of the shafts in a repetitious manner will yield some help. Good luck As I recall they should slide down more than the pic shows but they dont bottom out.

Auto Transport Service
Back