• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Cells and Evaporation

Mike67

Local time
7:47 AM
Reaction score
So for those running a fuel cell, do you experience an unusually high amount of evaporation? I have a 12gal cell w/ rollover vent. I usually have to add 5 gals of fuel every other weekend just to keep it above the foam. I have only been tuning it, running it maybe 30-40 minutes tops, mostly at idle with a few raps and short 3000 rpm sessions. The cap is tight and the o ring is in good shape.
Just trying to figure out where all my fuel is going. At this rate I'm going to plan my routes when it gets on the road to ensure there is a gas station every 5 miles!!!

I know the feeling! Sounds like the fuel consumption I get with my hemi!

Vent stuck open?
Thanks.
The vents are made to be open and only closewhen they see fuel. The check ball floats in order to seal the tank in a rollover.
Otherwise if the cell isnt vented it will pull the cell into a vacuum with an electric pump.

20200722_194830.jpg

That sounds like way too much evaporation. A fuel cell is basically the same as a plastic gas tank on a dirt bike or quad.

Thanks.
The vents are made to be open and only closewhen they see fuel. The check ball floats in order to seal the tank in a rollover.
Otherwise if the cell isnt vented it will pull the cell into a vacuum with an electric pump.

View attachment 1271953

Maybe try capping the vent line between use? I have a road race 22 gal cell (steel tank + rubber bladder + foam), and also a cheap 20 gal steel cell in cars and neither of them have an evap problem. I do not live in a hot climate though.

5 gallons every two weeks is hard to believe. I don't think you could leave an open 5 gallon bucket of gas out and have it evaporate in two weeks. Maybe your kid is driving the car when you are at the bar? :D

Maybe try capping the vent line between use? I have a road race 22 gal cell (steel tank + rubber bladder + foam), and also a cheap 20 gal steel cell in cars and neither of them have an evap problem. I do not live in a hot climate though.

5 gallons every two weeks is hard to believe. I don't think you could leave an open 5 gallon bucket of gas out and have it evaporate in two weeks. Maybe your kid is driving the car when you are at the bar? :D
I may have to try that, otherwise this thing drinks as much as a battleship!

Auto Transport Service
Back