• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel filter before or after pump?

rrTor-Red

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:09 AM
Reaction score
Is it better to have the filter before or after the pump? I dropped the motor in and it came from my builder with a stainless line going from the pump to carb. For now, I put the filter before the pump. Not sure if I should or have room for a filter after the pump and how to incorporate the filter with the line installed. FYI, 400 engine. This is the best picture I have for now until I get home

#3 Rod RH (2).jpg

Thanks HEMI-ITIS. Also FYI it is a mechanical if that makes a difference too

Don't make a difference.You don't want any crap going through the pump.I know OEM was after the pump but,,,

I believe with an electric pump you'd be ok. Mechanical pump will experience pressure issues.

There should be a fine particals sock on the tank pickup to protect the pump. Maybe not used with fuel cells?
If in question Bigal75's recommendation would be most practical.

As stated before, it is a mechanical pump

Mechanical pump should have it after the pump, before the carb. Mechanical pumps have very little suction, are not really that affected by contaminants in the fuel, and there is already a filter on the pickup in the tank. Electric pums can have them either way but I like them before the pump because electric pumps and regulators can be easilly affected by crap in the fuel.

Finally got the fuel filter figured out and installed. Happy with how it looks and turned out. Mounted the filter next to the receiver/dryer, using the same bolt for the drier, then routed it with the same stainless steel hose. This way, I can access it and clean if need be. I didn't want to install it next to the pump or under the alternator because of accessing it. lines are out of the way of the engine and tucked away.

20170804_202030.jpg 20170804_202159.jpg 20170804_202245.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back