• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel filter?

306Doba

Local time
12:49 AM
Reaction score
Ok so I know my car has been needing a good tune up/carb work for a while now, when I fire it up cold it will rev high (I think the car has always done this, but it's slowly getting worse) When I tap the gas the rpms drop and the car will stall so I have to keep a bit of pressure on the pedal to keep it from stalling, once it warms up it will stay running. Usually when I tap the gas the rpms will drop to normal and the car will still run fine. Now whats happening is the motor will just shut off without warning or sputtering even once warmed up or giving it gas. After it stalls it doesn't seem to want to start but if I wait a few seconds it will fire right up. The car has also stalled on me in downtown traffic a couple times haha

Hoping it's just a clogged fuel filter, is there anything else it could be?

Thanks for any advice!

-Cam

first off does it have the lean burn trash on it!? If so tear all that crap off of it and find a big ol' hill and trow it off of! lol. I would put a intake and edelbrock 650 on it and MP Orange ECU. much better setup!

Yes, the spark computer is the thing on the air cleaner. I have heard it's a curse though never had the pleasure of dealing with it. The system probably barely runs when it's working so I have to ask what condition are your plugs?

Plugs should be good, put new ones in a couple years ago and the car sat for a year. Still running the original wires though lol (actually, I'm pretty sure everything under the hood is original). Would bad plugs/wires cause an engine to suddenly quit?

Most likely not cause it to quit but run poorly yes.

anyone know of an online guide that goes through the process of changing the fuel filter on one of these engines?(360) or on a similar one? looks like a simple/basic job but i've never done one before. I'll be giving it a go this weekend... wish me luck lol, I really don't want to have to bring it to the garage across the street from me ;)

haha evermind, figured it out. Was mostly worried about gas flying everywhere when I disconnected the old filter but that never happened ;) hope she runs better

first off does it have the lean burn trash on it!? If so tear all that crap off of it and find a big ol' hill and trow it off of! lol. I would put a intake and edelbrock 650 on it and MP Orange ECU. much better setup!
What he said.... we used to scrap that crap all the time, & the cars always ran better.

Auto Transport Service
Back