• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fuel gauge readings

Night Runner

Local time
11:30 PM
Reaction score
I am in the process of rebuilding the factory dash cluster and replacing all the gauges with new autometer gauges, but I have 3 options for a fuel gauge. They are all the same except the ohm levels at emply and full. My gauge doesnt show full anymore when I fill it up and I have had zero luck at finding a new sending unit anywhere. The only other option I have is to measure what the car puts out at empty and full and go from there.

Just thought I would post up and see if anyone knew the resistance levels, before I pull apart the dash just to measure and then do it again when I get all the gauges set.

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure I understand your post.

The factory specs might not help for several reasons....................

If you have a factory sender, it might no longer be accurate, or be sticky, etc, and might not "follow."

Also, it seems to be fact that most? all? of the repop senders are not the same as factory, as many guys are having trouble getting the accurate

The figures I have for the original Mopar test instrumet is:

(and the same, by the way, for testing optional oil, as well as temp/ fuel)

L = 73.7 Ohms (empty)
M = 23.0 Ohms (1/2)
H = 10.2 Ohms (full)

I would just LOVE to hear that someone has rounded up an old Miller C-3826 tester and accurately confirmed these numbers

I have 3 options for a fuel gauge.

Mopar sending units are 10-73 ohms so that is the gage you need to buy.

AddEmoticons02515.gif

Somehow I missed that. Chatta has it.

I used Autometer's 12 ohm full, 73 ohm empty gauge with the stock 63 sender and it works fine.

Auto Transport Service
Back