• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Gauge suddenly stopped working

oldchevelle541

Local time
11:56 AM
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1970 Dodge Coronet. On the day of the delivery previous owner who pulled it out of his enclosed trailor said it was working at the time. I believe that to be correct as the video of the car running prior to delivery showed gas gauge on 3/8 full.

Could float be stuck from moving car off the trailor while backing down the ramp.

Any suggestions on what to look for starting with the obvious. I already checked for loose wire on the sending unit. Thanks in advance

Any suggestions on what to look for starting with the obvious. I already checked for loose wire on the sending unit. Thanks in advance
The obvious would be is that you didn't mention or probably check to see how much rust & crud there is on the ground strap or plumbing!

yup
check the ground strap by the sender
it could be crud or it rusted away..

Remove the lead on the sending unit and ground it. If the gauge goes to full, the trouble is the sending unit or the ground strap. Quick enough to find which direction the trouble is.

My fuel tank float filled with gasoline one time and the gauge stopped working, changed out the float and working again.

Has it been started since delivery and has any fuel been added? If not why would you expect the gauge to move?

Thanks All, will try grounding idea first. No crude underneath as car was restored 15 years ago and kept in heated storage. 10 gallons added to see if needle would moved hence yes added gas. Will keep all posted.

Should be a clip on the fuel line that bridges the short piece of rubber hose. That helps with the sending unit ground connection.
20191022_084230.jpg

I will second the sending unit float might have sunk. Check other items first as previously suggested.
My float was only about a year old. Part of Chinese repop sending unit assembly.
About a year later the fuel gauge stopped working. Test and narrowed down to the sending unit.
Pulled it out and sure enough the float had 2 fairly large holes. Float sunk.
Combination of Kalifornia alcohol in fuel, not running the car enough which let the alcohol absorb water.
That rotted the float.
Replaced the float with a genuine brass OEM float and, tada! works great.
I now add some fuel stabilizer when the car is going to sit around thru the winter months.

My 66 Plymouth would work on and off. It had a new Mopar sending unit, new tank I installed.
I found that just loosening and tightening the nuts on the gauge fixed it.

Auto Transport Service
Back