• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel in oil

69clone

Local time
6:25 PM
Reaction score
So I discovered today that my oil pan is full of gas in the 440 stroker. I haven't started the car in a while and for what its worth its not drive able it has about 10-15 minutes total of run time since I got it. It was not apparent in the beginning either as I kept an eye for anything odd the first few times I ran it.
So anyways, from what I've gathered online I should drain the oil and do a couple oil changes/filter changes in the near future. What I am not sure is what is causing the fuel to leak into the oil.
It has a mechanical fuel pump (racepump style) which I am guessing is causing the leak. But what else would do it? The fuel bowls do slowly drain but I figured they drained back down the lines?? There was a slight fuel drip off the regulator at AN fittings last time I ran it.
Anything else I should check or do? I hope I did not ruin the engine and found this quick enough. I think I may switch to an electric pump in case it is the problem and for many other issues I've had with this pump.

sounds like pump diaphragm has a hole in it.....replace pump, change oil & filter

If it sits for a while, you might make it a habit to check your oil level that it hasn't risen prior to starting up. Smell the oil on the dip stick for gas.
Fill the new filter at least half full before installing. It might even be a good idea to prime the system with the new oil.

So I discovered today that my oil pan is full of gas in the 440 stroker. I haven't started the car in a while and for what its worth its not drive able it has about 10-15 minutes total of run time since I got it. It was not apparent in the beginning either as I kept an eye for anything odd the first few times I ran it.
So anyways, from what I've gathered online I should drain the oil and do a couple oil changes/filter changes in the near future. What I am not sure is what is causing the fuel to leak into the oil.
It has a mechanical fuel pump (racepump style) which I am guessing is causing the leak. But what else would do it? The fuel bowls do slowly drain but I figured they drained back down the lines?? There was a slight fuel drip off the regulator at AN fittings last time I ran it.
Anything else I should check or do? I hope I did not ruin the engine and found this quick enough. I think I may switch to an electric pump in case it is the problem and for many other issues I've had with this pump.
Probably gasoline coming by the pump lever area into the engine.

Ok I took the pump off hoping that was the problem but once I pulled it off I can seem to figure out how it could really leak. Other than a small gasket around the push rod in the pump.

all I can think of is because it's such a high power pump it might spray gas through the rubber seal?? I really am lost... only other thing we can think of is it's gotta be leaking through the intake into the heads??

image.jpg image.jpg

If you can manually pump it by hand, maybe cap the "out", attach the supply, and see if it spits out the backside?

I would still bet on the pump. I don't see how a lot of gas could make it from the carb into the oil pan. I suggest keep testing, as suggested, or maybe buy a cheap pump to install and try. If it still fills with gas then you are right about the source not being the pump.

I once had a pump go and fill the oil pan with a lot of gas.

I did play with the pump and could not come up with any positive leaks. Of course thats not to say my couple cycles are putting the same wear/pressure as 1000 cycles rapidly when its running... I decided to tear my carb apart to see if its to blame. I am thinking it could be the floats because they do run empty but so were the fuel lines... I am going to see if I can get a hold of a electric pump to try and rule it out.

Check cracks or porous casting and leaking float. Guy I knew had a small crack , it drove him nuts.

an easy way to see if its the pump is to put everything back together with fresh oil and run it. pump will fill it up while it is running, carb will leak down over time while sitting. other then really bad rings not many ways to get a lot of fuel in the oil.

Auto Transport Service
Back