• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Line Size on my 69 GTX

Jack Luckhowec

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:36 AM
Reaction score
Question for the Mopar gurus.
I just pulled the tank from my very original 69 GTX, 440-4, 4 speed. I noticed that the fuel line on the sending unit is 3/8", while the line running to the front is only 5/16". both are for sure original. Is that normal?? Seem strange to have a mis-match.
IMG_20200901_200438.jpg
IMG_20200901_134520.jpg

Interesting. Should be 3/8" all the way...

Vapor and return lines usually 1/4 or 5/16 if i recall. Your main fuel line for the BB should be 3/8.

No, not unusual. I just went through this on mine. I had the exact same scenario on my untouched '68 R/T. When I replaced the fuel lines I changed it to 3/8 but it definitely came with 5/16 from day 1.

Curious how do you know the sending unit is original?

I also thought it was a bit unusual to only find new sending units in 3/8x1/4 and the 5/16 didn't have the 1/4 return. Fortunately my original still works fine. New pickup sock and it's good to go.

68 and 69 440 cars had 5/16 fuel lines and 3/8 sending units. They went to 3/8 fuel line in 70. They used a return line for 440 and hemi cars starting in 68, so they just used the same sending unit for both.

Both lines should run to the front. 3/8" supply, 1/4" vent/return.

Oh, and the ground clip is missing, does your fuel gauge work?

Last edited:
68 and 69 440 cars had 5/16 fuel lines and 3/8 sending units. They went to 3/8 fuel line in 70. They used a return line for 440 and hemi cars starting in 68, so they just used the same sending unit for both.
That makes sense and explains why the car has 5/16 fuel line and 1/4 vapor line.
Thanks everybody who commented to clear up this mystery.

My 68 gtx, 4 speed car also had a 5/16 main fuel line from the factory.

Did it allso have a 3/8 sending unit??
I honestly don’t remember what the sending unit was, don’t think I ever had it out or dropped the tank for anything. Just remember the engine bay hookup had the 5/16 line coming in from the tank.

I have a 69 GTX 440 4-speed, Dana car and have had the gas tank out twice, put in a new tank, two new sending units, Checked all wiring 15 times, checked the gauge, voltage limiter, tried numerous grounds, etc....Sending units work great hooked up out of the car, reinstalled everything...put 8 gal. of the sucked out gas back in...measured half full, fantastic! filled up the tank, still half full...WTF is going on? I got a hernia and went through two creapers in the process.
Has anyone ever built a bench tank mock-up to mount a sending unit to, to see what the heck is going on in there?

Ive had 2 previous 1969 440 GTXs equipped with a 3/8" sender and 5/16" main line. Both were St Louis built cars

Mopar replacement and after market fuel senders should not work correctly. If you have one that does there is a problem and it should be removed. :D

Just wondering about using a mock-up to sort things out. Mount the sending unit at the proper angle in a cardboard box made to the exact dimensions as the fuel tank and hook it up...see what happens. leave one side open to move the sending unit up and down.

Auto Transport Service
Back