• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel pressure

Charger Ted

Local time
11:30 PM
Reaction score
I am beginning to tackle the vapor lock problem on my 66 Charger, 2bl, 318, automatic. In looking at some of the options, mostly I plan to bypass and eventually block off the mechanical fuel pump and install an electronic fuel pump at the tank and route the line away from running up along the block. My questions are, 1) what fuel pressure is normal with mechanical pump, 2) Is an adjustable pressure regulator a good idea and if so what pressure to set it and recommendations on brand? 3) Recommendations on electronic pumps. I have a cheap $20 one at the tank at present but would not want to completely rely on it. TIA
Charger Ted

I am beginning to tackle the vapor lock problem on my 66 Charger, 2bl, 318, automatic. In looking at some of the options, mostly I plan to bypass and eventually block off the mechanical fuel pump and install an electronic fuel pump at the tank and route the line away from running up along the block. My questions are, 1) what fuel pressure is normal with mechanical pump, 2) Is an adjustable pressure regulator a good idea and if so what pressure to set it and recommendations on brand? 3) Recommendations on electronic pumps. I have a cheap $20 one at the tank at present but would not want to completely rely on it. TIA
Charger Ted
6 psi is normal for a carburetored engine. A $20 pump doesn’t sound reliable. You’d have to read the specs on potential electric pumps to see if you can dead-head them into a pressure regulator or if it will need a return line.

Adding a vapor separator with a return line might fix your problem when using a mechanical pump.

Using factory mechanical pump w a vapor separator fuel filter solves vapor lock about 95+% of the time. Watch this video to get the correct type.

Charger Ted
I also have a vapor lock issue in mt 66 charger. My plan is a return line to the tank. I bought a fuel filter with a return line and a 1/4 hose barb to put into the sending unit at the tank. Uncle tonys garage on you tube has a video on vapor lock. Our problem is we dont have a return line. Easiest way around the issue is to run non ethanol gas or race gas. There are also articles on fbbo forum about it too. Good luck

Follow up to my vapor lock problem. I had my mechanic run a line from the WIX vapor separator fuel filter to the fill tube. Still have the electronic fuel pump and did not bypass the mechanical one. Yesterday drove it in the heat, 88, parked it, 10-15 minutes later started right up. So I think I have fixed the vapor lock problem. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Also the mechanic got the A/C working great. It was a wiring problem from past owner. Anyone have a source for the A/C tubes from output to louvers in center dash and side outlets. Dont have part number handy.

Auto Transport Service
Back