• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel pressure

Polara383500

Local time
8:25 AM
Reaction score
723B739E-93A6-4988-B514-EFBEC0DB752E.jpeg
Ok installed a new avs2 awhile back. I have got around to driving it cause if working hrs. Car idles great but as soon as you put it in gear it’s stalls! I heard that it could be dumbing to much fuel! I put on a fuel pressure gauge and its a stock pump and it’s reading 11 to 12lbs and they should only have 6.
723B739E-93A6-4988-B514-EFBEC0DB752E.jpeg

You need it regulated to 5# for a Edelbrock (or whatever the instructions recommend)

You need it regulated to 5# for a Edelbrock (or whatever the instructions recommend)
While it’s running it bounces around so putting a regulator on it to 6 pounds should fix it?

I just got through learning a lesson on fuel pressure gauges...."Double Check Them" Mine was doing the opposite it was going down to 3lb pressure , I was convinced my random, inconsistant stalling issue was fuel pressure related because WHY would my brand new gauge be wrong? I changed the fuel pump and hoses from the pump to the carb. only to have my friend let me try an old one laying around and it was 7lbs exactly. Turns out everything works fine now but while chasing the problem I did change my 5/16 fuel line to the tank with stainless steel and sending unit to 3/8 , it hasn't done it in 3 months and still reads 7lbs.

While it’s running it bounces around so putting a regulator on it to 6 pounds should fix it?
I know the Edelbrock carbs can't stand much pressure. 4-6# is enough.

What STOCK mechanical fuel pump puts out 12-13 PSI ?
Been there. A buddy had over pressure issues with his mechanical and went to Car Quest (on a Sunday) and bought the "low performance" application pump. He got 12# out of that. Crap parts now days.

Yeah I have to put it to the floor to get it to start

OK, just making sure what it's doing.

Need to get the fuel pressure down a bit. 5 lb. normally is what's recommended. Researching regulators awhile back it seems like there isn't any good ones unless you spend good money.

I would try another fuel pump for a lot less money than what a good regulator would cost.

And a side note...Edelbrock carbs are known for improper float settings from the factory. That's one thing that will cause flooding while it's running.

OK, just making sure what it's doing.

Need to get the fuel pressure down a bit. 5 lb. normally is what's recommended. Researching regulators awhile back it seems like there isn't any good ones unless you spend good money.

I would try another fuel pump for a lot less money than what a good regulator would cost.

And a side note...Edelbrock carbs are known for improper float settings from the factory. That's one thing that will cause flooding while it's running.
Ok and just have to take the top off and make sure there set right. Just have to make sure the meter rods are out when putting it back together!

So those Chrome mr. Gasket fuel pressure regulators with the big dial on them for like 15 bucks at O'Reilly are junk?

So those Chrome mr. Gasket fuel pressure regulators with the big dial on them for like 15 bucks at O'Reilly are junk?

See the thread I posted in post #10. I was going the regulator route before I found out it was the fuel pump that was out of wack. Reading up on all the regulators out there, their reviews were mostly negative on the cheaper ones. The one you mentioned was one of the worst IIRC. Lol

See the thread I posted in post #10. I was going the regulator route before I found out it was the fuel pump that was out of wack. Reading up on all the regulators out there, their reviews were mostly negative on the cheaper ones. The one you mentioned was one of the worst IIRC. Lol
I did look at it ,thank you, great link

20 posts on the pressure gauge. Wow.

If you want to know if you have too much pressure, wait for it.............go look.

Start the car and look at the carb's boosters for fuel dribble. If there is fuel, it is either float level, or the pressure. No dribble, no pressure or level problem.

If you have too much pressure it does not matter if it is in gear or not. The car is likely not running right in neutral either if it's fuel related.

Auto Transport Service
Back