• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel problem

Kyrich

Local time
4:15 AM
Reaction score
Hello fellow Mopar lovers..... I have a problem that I can't figure out..... My 69 roadrunner starts and runs perfect on initial startup...... after I drive a while and the engine warms if I shut it off I have to hold it to the floor to get it to retire.....or pull up to a stop sign it wants to die if I don't feather the throttle..... could this have anything to do with a nonvented fuel tank

All fuel tanks are vented, if yours is not then no doubt you have a problem. You didn't say what year car/engine you have and that would help but without more information and just guessing at it, it sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Could be a dirty fuel tank or lines, fuel filter, fuel pump or fuel pump push rod. Could also be in the carb.

Possibly high float level in carb causing the hard restart&bad idle.

welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

I would go with a rich/flooding condition. Holding the throttle down opens the butterflies and allows in enough air to lean it out enough to start. I would also guess mixture, floats or needle and seat. Welcome and good luck.

Thanks for the input..... I have since put a vented cap on my 69 roadrunner.....it idles better,but when i shut it off after it gets to temperature, I still have to hold the throttle to the floor to get it to retire

Sounds like it has spontaneous combustion or dieseling. Probably carbon build up in the cylinders. You can try something like seafoam or pull the heads and manually clean up the heads and piston surfaces

Leaking needle & seat or high float level allowing raw fuel down in intake after shut down.
Only reason for holding accrlorator down to start is to much fuel to air ratio.
Does is smell like gas fumes in your garage when you shut it off,if so that's your problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back