• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel pump install

71newp

Local time
7:21 PM
Reaction score
It has been a while (decades) since I have installed a fuel pump. The pump I bought for my 1976 360 came with 3 gaskets and no instructions. FSM has no details about fuel pump installs. Is there a reason for the 3 gaskets, other than a packaging error? I am wondering if it always needs all three, or...???
Thanks,
Tim

I haven't put one in for awhile myself - but I think you just got some extra gaskets. I've never used more than one and never had a leak.

You only need one gasket, for sure. Remember you might have to rotate the crank some to be able to get the pump to sit flush with the mating surface, as the pump's lever may make contact with the pump eccentric inside the engine, depending on where the crank is rotated.

Yes,
The 360 Fuel Pump has a very long "ARM" that goes up and in and rides off the CAM.
It IS under a lot of tension on the 360.
I helped my Bud on his 73 Challenger and it WAS A BEAR!
(So much tension)

untitled.jpg

Thanks for all the input. Last (only) FP I changed was on a 383, and I don't remember it being real difficult so I appreciate the warnings!

Auto Transport Service
Back