• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel pump pushrod ACCESS PLUG removal/installation tool?

65Bel

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:22 AM
Reaction score
Anyone know what the correct tool is for this square-drive plug? It's larger than the tang on a 1/4" ratchet and smaller than those on any of my 3/8" ratchets. (If 3/8 is supposed to be correct, I suspect mine may be distorted from use of an improper tool in the past?)

000000000.jpg

Anyone know what the correct tool is for this square-drive plug? It's larger than the tang on a 1/4" ratchet and smaller than those on any of my 3/8" ratchets. (If 3/8 is supposed to be correct, I suspect mine may be distorted from use of an improper tool in the past?)

View attachment 1300269
Should be 3/8, possible paint and or crud build up.
Get the old pocket knife out or small screw driver and start cleaning.

Paint, grease, grime, and age are built up inside the plug.

Use a sharpish screwdriver to dig the crap out, then wash out with engine degreaser or solvent spray...use a cloth to stop excess damaging other parts of the engine paint.

I just went and measured up a brand new push rod and plug.....looks like you need a 5/16" square socket. I used a brand new 3/8" extension....not even close.

20220618_133718.jpg

20220618_133527.jpg

20220618_133455.jpg

:welcome:

I just went and measured up a brand new push rod and plug.....looks like you need a 5/16" square socket. I used a brand new 3/8" extension....not even close.

View attachment 1300373

View attachment 1300374

View attachment 1300375

:welcome:

I think you've solved it! 5/16 is what I was seeing on my tape but I can't trust these old eyes of mine anymore. Just ordered a Carlyle 5/16 square-drive socket from NAPA on-line (P/N CHT S38SQDP10) for $5.49. Said it should be ready for pick up at my local store tomorrow! Thanks to everyone who replied & I'll post an update once I have the socket and see if it does the trick.

Then go to the hardware store and get a hex head plug

I have seen Hex plugs on my 440's (1960's) On a side note are those NOS Push rods available ? I need a couple extras.

Should be 3/8, possible paint and or crud build up.
Get the old pocket knife out or small screw driver and start cleaning.

Pretty sure it's 3/8. If cleaning it doesn't work, I'd get a cheap 3/8 extension, and grind on it till it fits.

A set of square Allen wrenches is what is needed.

View attachment 1300408

Mission accomplished! The 5/16" square, 3/8 drive socket is a perfect fit for the access plug. As mentioned in #7, I got a nice Carlyle socket from NAPA for only $5.49 but there are numerous other brands out there. And, as Roger suggested in #6, a square 5/16 allen-type wrench would work fine as well. Thanks for your input guys!

I have seen Hex plugs on my 440's (1960's) On a side note are those NOS Push rods available ? I need a couple extras.
Photo in #1 is a pic I found on the web. No luck finding NOS but I got a nice custom machined pushrod from Hughes Engines in Washington, IL. for $23.95 plus tax.

One thing about hex head they strip easier than square drive. Had a hex strip oil gallery plug, pita.

I recently learned that 5/16 was an old ratchet size before 1/4 became standard after I found this lil Snap-On in my grandfather's tool box I inherited. Was super excited but soon realized none of my sockets would fit!

IMG_20220622_115027711.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back