• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel pump recommendations…

Huicho417

Local time
4:57 AM
Reaction score
During a highway run earlier today I caught a faint smell of fuel. When I reached my destination I opened the hood and noticed the fuel pump had some fuel leak. Not too much, but enough to notice on top of the pump and engine block. Car drove fine on the trip back. The fuel pump is from my local Autozone, but this is the second pump as the first one also leaked out the small port. Are these pumps just not that good, that I will keep having this problem? When I looked in summit the average price is about $180.0 for a carter or Edelbrock pump. Is is worth switching to one of these or changing to an electric type pump?

Are these pumps just not that good, that I will keep having this problem? {YUP} When I looked in summit the average price is about $180.0 for a carter or Edelbrock pump. Is is worth switching to one of these {YUP}
Cheap junk is... cheap junk. Save a few bucks, and watch your car light up.

Have you looked at a Carter M6866?

I use the Edelbrock 1723. Have used several from stock to 620hp strokers without any fuel issues. Like WileERobby had mentioned… cheap junk. You get what you pay for. Not that some cheap parts don’t work. But you have to get lucky and find a good one.

I found the Carter M6866 and all the reviews seem very positive. However when I check to make sure it fits my vehicle, it states it does not. My car is a 67 Coronet with 318 LA.

I found the Carter M6866 and all the reviews seem very positive. However when I check to make sure it fits my vehicle, it states it does not. My car is a 67 Coronet with 318 LA.
Look up a m6900

I like the Carter style quick fuel 110gph, it doesn't need a regulator and is easy on pushrods. 30-360qft is the small block Chrysler part number from Holley. Light spring for about 6psig fuel pressure. I like mechanical fuel pumps better, simple and it will shut off when the engine stops turning.

Auto Transport Service
Back