• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel pump size

cabledog

Local time
8:46 AM
Reaction score
Hello again. So I ordered a fuel pump to replace on my 1971 383 magnum but I double checked and it was only 20 gph with 6 psi max. I cancelled it and ordered one that is 120 gph 6-7 psi max.

Holley said I needed at least 80 gph. Would the 20 gph have worked?

Holley 750
292 cam but otherwise no additional mods

I agree with Bill on the Carter that is a great fuel pump.
But a slight correction 20gpm above is a typo. It's 20 gallons per hour or 3 minutes per gallon. So if you get greater than 3 or 4 miles per gallon you are OK just driving. It's wide open throttle that is the question will the bowl level drop after about 5 seconds?

I would think that 60-70 would be about right. Your talking about a motor under 450 HP.
Here's a fuel flow chart that may help. Also if your not running at least 3/8 fuel line you probably can not flow more than 60gal/hour.

Attachments

• Fuel Flow.pdf
    617.5 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
I switched out to the Carter M6903 on my 440+6bbl as noted above. It delivers appx 6 lbs of pressure and 120 GPH. It is the legendary replacement mechanical fuel pump!

Auto Transport Service
Back