• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel regulator w/ return vs. Vapor Separator

Charger1969B

Local time
11:18 PM
Reaction score
I am going to install an electric fuel pump and regulator, and I'm curious. If my fuel regulator has a return line, would this take the place of the original style fuel vapor separator and remove any chance of vapor lock? I just can't figure out why I would need both, and how they would even be installed simultaneously as they both would be returning to the fuel tank.

What yr and model car? the Vapor line is typically 1/4 inch. I would order a second fuel line in matching size to the existing fuel line. Remove the Vent line and route the return line in it's place. If the only restriction is the vent line inlet to the tank you should be okay. If you ran the 1/4 inch line, you might see a false pressure at idle and to low pressure at WOT.

1969 Dodge Charger

I appreciate the help!

More than anything, i'm just trying to figure out if I run a fuel regulator that has a port for a return line to the fuel tank, does this take the place of having to run the original style vapor separator?

As long as that Vent line ran all the way to the front, then yes.. If you are talking just the tank vent, no.. 70 California Emissions cars had a Vapor return line that vou could have used, but 69's I don't think have this.

Auto Transport Service
Back