• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel return line

JG1966

Local time
11:49 AM
Reaction score
I have a fuel return line in my 72 RR that I don't use. I've never used it. It runs up along inner passenger fender in engine bay near firewall. Charcoal canister is long gone. I've just left it open (uncapped) and unused for years. Should I use it? Is it needed? If so, how do I hook it up? (As long as charcoal canister is not needed cuz that ain't happening). I don't care about stock look. Just wondered if a return line will help in any way.

My 78 magnum has a vapor return line. And I plan to convert it to a fuel return line with a vapor separator at the fuel pump. I live in florida and I'm trying to prevent vapor lock. So if you are not having vapor lock problems, I would leave your return line alone..

What's your plan for fuel pumps? If running an electric pump it wouldn't be a bad idea to use a return line so not to deadhead your pump which will cause your fuel to heat up (heat soak). If your running a mechanical pump and not worried about the rest of the system then you probably be alright not using the return line...

What's your plan for fuel pumps? If running an electric pump it wouldn't be a bad idea to use a return line so not to deadhead your pump which will cause your fuel to heat up (heat soak). If your running a mechanical pump and not worried about the rest of the system then you probably be alright not using the return line...

Thanks Maniac. I use a mechanical pump. No issues with heat soak or hot starting. Guess I'm good

Auto Transport Service
Back