• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fuel sending unit 70 charger 440

Frank1970

Local time
12:42 PM
Reaction score
Hello, i am little confused on how to properly connect the gas tank vent line and 1/4 return line that goes to the separator? WHat i see now is the small port on the sending unit has the fuel cap vent line attached? Should that port be the 1/4 return line? If so where does the fuel cap vent line to to? I see many ports on the passenger side of the tank? THanks

The 1/4 inch at the sender is your return line. On the Charger your fill tube will have a 1/4 tube off it. That is your vent.

Thanks, where does that tube connect? It is currently connected to the fuel sender at 1/4 tube

Thanks, where does that tube connect? It is currently connected to the fuel sender at 1/4 tube
Who ever connected it there should not work on cars. It just goes down through the trunk floor inside a grommet into the frame rail.

the vent location.jpg

Yea right! It did not make sense to me why was the vent connect like that!

So I open up a can of worms thinking I had to replace the sender! I removed it already turns out my sender did not have a filter on it. Now how do you hold that gasket in place before tightening! Seems like if that gasket is off a bit major leak!

Most of the gas leaked out looks like I have to remove the tank entirely?

You should be able to use a small amount of sealer to hold the gasket in place.....and make sure the tank flange is flat all the way around. Found one that was slightly bent a couple of years ago on a 69 rr that I was working on and the owner couldn't get it to seal.

I tried putting in the new one, looks the same as the old one but the flange does not sit easily on the top, sounds like it’s hitting the bottom of the tank? Should it sit flush easily?

Auto Transport Service
Back