• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel smell after drive and Summit Racing braided line

steved033

Local time
10:59 AM
Reaction score
After a year or two of chasing a terrible fuel smell after a drive (like, the next day, and for days afterward), I found a tidbit on the FAST EFI forum about a guy who discovered that Summit Braided hose is vapor permeable, and not really compatible with Ethanol in fuels (it says compatible with gasoline on the site), and that for street fuel, you need to run Teflon.

The summit racing PTFE hose lists "Ethanol" specifically as a compatibility.

I can take the removed hoses and smell the outside, and they smell like gas still.

I made this mistake. If this is well known, then i will own up to this mistake, but that seems crazy.

sjd

Thought I remember reading something like that, I think it said the PTFE hose was the best choice iirc.

You see "gasoline" listed and go "okay, this should work".

PTFE is the best choice for pump gas.

sjd

Yeah the teflon acts as a vapor barrier. I've always used hose rated for EFI and haven't noticed any extra smell... but I'm not positive it is of PTFE construction

Yeah the teflon acts as a vapor barrier. I've always used hose rated for EFI and haven't noticed any extra smell... but I'm not positive it is of PTFE construction

PTFE lined hose is easy to identify. The liner looks like a hard plastic (teflon). I recently changed over all my Summit S/S hose for PTFE so I can run E-85 if I want. Had to change all the fittings as well. I have a S/S tank and twin FiTech throttle bodies.

Auto Transport Service
Back