• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel system mounting ?

Virg464

Local time
7:01 PM
Reaction score
Getting ready to install the fuel system on my 66 cornet. 10 gal fuel cell in the trunk, cradled in the spare wheel well, fuel line through a grommetted hole to an elec. pump, to a filter, to the regulator up front. My question is for the pump and the filter, they will be mounted in the rear (behind the rear axle) on the P/S frame rail. The mount brackets for both are machined to accept 5/16" hardware, should I drill fully through both sides of the rail and run hardware all the way through, or is there a better way? Also, should I use any type of isolating material between the mount brackets and the frame, or am I over thinking this part?

OH, pay no attention to the poly-vinyl-chloride deck lid support device :lol:

Thanks for any input.

IMG_20230219_161043596.jpg

IMG_20230219_161350705.jpg

IMG_20230226_152445610.jpg

Getting ready to install the fuel system on my 66 cornet. 10 gal fuel cell in the trunk, cradled in the spare wheel well, fuel line through a grommetted hole to an elec. pump, to a filter, to the regulator up front. My question is for the pump and the filter, they will be mounted in the rear (behind the rear axle) on the P/S frame rail. The mount brackets for both are machined to accept 5/16" hardware, should I drill fully through both sides of the rail and run hardware all the way through, or is there a better way? Also, should I use any type of isolating material between the mount brackets and the frame, or am I over thinking this part?

OH, pay no attention to the poly-vinyl-chloride deck lid support device :lol:

Thanks for any input.

View attachment 1424835

View attachment 1424836

View attachment 1424841
Mine is all mounted in the trunk. I have a backing plate the shape of the pump with the four bolt pattern bolted from underneath.

rsz_20160702_220108_002.jpg

In the trunk is a better way to go. Way better if you need to work on anything at the track. No getting under the car. Just my 2 cents of course. ruffcut

Remember electric pumps are pushers not pullers. Need pump set where gravity can help keep it full. With gas tank in trunk, most tracks require a block off plate of some kind into cab of car.
isolating material needed. Helps with noise big time.

You need to buy a rivet nut kit and thread inserts. One of my favorite tools. You will find all kinds of uses for insert nuts.
Mike

You need to buy a rivet nut kit and thread inserts. One of my favorite tools. You will find all kinds of uses for insert nuts.
Mike
That's what I was wondering about, if they will hold up to that type of situation. Never used one so I don't have any working experience. Thanks.

I have a one of them rivet nut kits and have rivet nuts all over different cars. They work great.

Last edited:
Mike
Picked up a kit and the pump is installed, filter's next. Thanks Mike :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back